'People with autism have stronger connections between brain cells'

I wasn't certain about posting this, but thought people might be interested - even if just for the Reply to it left at the end.

I dislike the language of 'impairments', and the distinction the author seems to be making between 'mentally healthy' patients and autistic ones.

Be interested in others' thoughts and opinions...

People with autism 'have stronger connections between brain cells, making it harder for them to switch off.'

• Ditto tom,,, many many times,,,,once I do get talking I never know when to stop, probably when I notice the other person has fallen asleep or indeed walked away.

• It’s ALL or nothing,,,,once the seed is planted it then needs to germinate, rise up and grow and branch off in so many directions, which one do I follow? Surely every branch has a reason to exist! It shouldn’t just be ignored , it may be the branch that holds the nest of chicks that gives the branch its one of many reasons to exist.

It has to exist for a purpose after all. WHY ?

Oh dear,,,

• Yes, I understand that.  I'll be watching a film too, for instance, and then have to replay something several times so that it properly sinks in before I can move on.  Otherwise, I'll be thinking about it and lose the plot!

This thing about conversations, of course, is classic.  I never know when it's my turn, and will often - as soon as I hear something I want to respond to - barge straight in with my pennyworth.  I used to find my brother infuriating to have a conversation with because he would just 'go all around the houses to get to the town', as my nan used to say.  And he'd keep pausing, which would make me think he'd finished.  I'd then say something.  He'd then come back with a loud 'As I was saying...' (i.e. before being rudely interrupted).

• Thanks for sharing

It is interesting in my perspective, too bad about that last sentence, but understandable from a non-autistic person :-)

It actually makes me think of how in university during lectures I'd have a question about something, and not always wanting to ask 10+ questions, bot asking it. And consequently getting stuck on that one issue I'd not have an answer to.

Or asking a question and getting an answer and wanting to know more and knowing you can't continue due to time and others losing interest. And then getting stuck on the 'branch of the tree' where you wanted to go.

Same goes for conversations. It is like the connection lingers, although they probably didn't mean that in this article Smile