The Hidden Danger of Suicide in Autism

A friend has just forwarded me this recent article.  I found myself nodding my head a lot as I read it.  The points on bullying and 'camouflaging' are particularly pertinent for me.

The Hidden Danger of Suicide in Autism

Parents
  • I think I'll go sick next week and go and see my GP.  I don't really want to go down the route of medication - but I need something.  I'm getting a lot of end-game thoughts.  Anti-depressants can increase those, of course - I know that risk.  I'll ask about medicinal cannabis.  I'm not sure what the status is with that.  I could go look it up.  I think it's probably very truthful to say that if it wasn't for my cat here - following mum's passing - I probably wouldn't be here now.

This episode with my colleague has really brought me down.  I'm starting to feel more and more alienated.  Or you could say I'm alienating myself.  That's how it must seem.  I try my best to please people and I hate upsetting anyone.  I'm going to deactivate my FB account for now, then think about deleting it.  I can't go on like this.  Social media has its great points.  But the downsides are not good at all.

• I think I'll go sick next week and go and see my GP.  I don't really want to go down the route of medication - but I need something.  I'm getting a lot of end-game thoughts.  Anti-depressants can increase those, of course - I know that risk.  I'll ask about medicinal cannabis.  I'm not sure what the status is with that.  I could go look it up.  I think it's probably very truthful to say that if it wasn't for my cat here - following mum's passing - I probably wouldn't be here now.

This episode with my colleague has really brought me down.  I'm starting to feel more and more alienated.  Or you could say I'm alienating myself.  That's how it must seem.  I try my best to please people and I hate upsetting anyone.  I'm going to deactivate my FB account for now, then think about deleting it.  I can't go on like this.  Social media has its great points.  But the downsides are not good at all.

Children
  • Hello. I'll be blunt: seems like an overreaction over something that happens all the time to a lot of people. Would you be going off sick just to avoid your colleague? I'd try to force myself to go in, and in some quiet moment make a bit light of it and put on a hurt tone: 'you defriended me' and see what she says (and be prepared for saying nothing and holding hands up in an exasperated and uninformative way).

(Edit: sorry, I realised you said she'd be away next week. Jumped to the wrong conclusion.)

I can't advise against making a GP appointment though.

Hope you and your cat have a good afternoon, and try to do something nice.