To declare or not to declare at interview

I appear as a 'normie' on first contact and have recently started to declare my ASD at interviews. However, I wonder if this is a good idea because I worry it will give employers the wrong impression about me... but if I don't tell them and problems emerge later...

Parents
  • I've always mentioned it and it's never really been a problem for me - but then, most of my work in recent years has been in care, so there's often an attraction for employers in that way. 

If you don't mention it at interview stage, or in an application, and you then run into difficulties in the job, it could be an issue.  As Robert said - maybe leave it for the health questionnaire if there's nothing on the application form.  That's confidential, and can't be used against you later.  That would be illegal discrimination.

It's worth bearing in mind that, in some employment situations (like mine), the condition would be seen in a positive light.  Many employers, if they have a proper understanding of ASD at the high-functioning level, would be keen to employ someone who is honest, meticulous, accurate and conscientious - and probably not remotely interested in office politics!  It really depends on what sort of work sector you're looking at.

PS One other point worth mentioning - if you do decide to declare it on the application as a 'disability' (and it depends on how you feel about that), many employers (especially in the public sector, and places like universities) will guarantee you an interview under the Guaranteed Interview Scheme.

• I've always mentioned it and it's never really been a problem for me - but then, most of my work in recent years has been in care, so there's often an attraction for employers in that way. 

If you don't mention it at interview stage, or in an application, and you then run into difficulties in the job, it could be an issue.  As Robert said - maybe leave it for the health questionnaire if there's nothing on the application form.  That's confidential, and can't be used against you later.  That would be illegal discrimination.

It's worth bearing in mind that, in some employment situations (like mine), the condition would be seen in a positive light.  Many employers, if they have a proper understanding of ASD at the high-functioning level, would be keen to employ someone who is honest, meticulous, accurate and conscientious - and probably not remotely interested in office politics!  It really depends on what sort of work sector you're looking at.

PS One other point worth mentioning - if you do decide to declare it on the application as a 'disability' (and it depends on how you feel about that), many employers (especially in the public sector, and places like universities) will guarantee you an interview under the Guaranteed Interview Scheme.

Children
No Data