Background noises and NT

Ok firstly I was told people with aspergers call people neurotypicals NT .It's weird that now I have a diagnosis after 35 years now I am one of them people. Hope that doesn't sound rude.

Ok how are you all for background noises .can you filter themout.i find this hard.at the moment.i can hear the fridge .the wind.the leaves blowing on trees.theres a birds nest in the attic.i can hear them.i can hear my breathing.

• Oh yes, the TV background noise.  I especially hate the YouTube background stuff which is so overwhelming.  Unfortunately my DH likes watching the YouTube vids and is deaf.  I can tune some stuff out, but most of the time I just put my headphones on.

• I am very sensitive to background noise - particularly irritating is background music on TV programmes; I find it so very irritating I want to scream. Also really bad is music in shops. Shopping is really tough anyway, and the music makes it even more difficult to concentrate on deciding what you want to buy. I have to put my hands over my ears sometimes to try to block out the noise. However, I don't want to be totally deaf and do want to hear some noises when I am out.

I wish people would be as aware of this as they are, for example, of the fact that flashing lights can cause epileptic fits - they give a warning for that on the news to let you know it's coming, but wouldn't it be great if they would make "autism-friendly" TV programmes with little or no background music.

I was very happy when M&S decided to do away with music in their shops. Once, many years ago, I complained about the music and got the reply  "most of our customers like it", but the fact that they did away with it in the end surely contradicts that.

• I find noise to be difficult to deal with.

To help I have a pair of noise-cancelling headphones, a pair of ear defenders and ear plugs. Where possible, I also avoid places which I believe will be too noisy.

I have started looking into a white noise machine but have not got very far. I have also looked into buying or building a noise isolation booth but without success.

If you can hear your breathing, perhaps taking up meditation may help you in general. I find meditation a help although I am not very good at it.

• I'm ok unless it's a repetitive noise. For example someone randomly banging with a hammer off and on or using something like a power drill.
    It's hard to filter out the noise in a crowded restaurant. I had this the last time I went for a birthday meal with family. The cacophony of sound was hard to cope with.

• I'm not ASD (here because my SD16 has a diagnosis) but I've got auditory processing issues related to DCD.

I find discerning speech in noisy environments (wind, city streets, crowds) very difficult. My SO is sensitive to this and knows to work with me by making sure I can watch him speaking - I'm not lip reading but it kind of is.

I also know I can tune down my noise sensitivity by getting tactile input, so my noise filtering is much better after swimming for example.