Should I disclose my Asperger's syndrome on my job application

I am a 23 year old with Asperger's syndrome trying to find work (and have been for some time) and always have the dilemma of whether I should disclose my Aspergers on my job application,wait until during the interview, after the interview if i get the job or not at all. At the moment I usually mention it in the equlity monitoring part of the application form and at the interview if a question is relevant (for example if they ask to explain a difficulty I had to overcome)

my dad is now advised me to keep quiet about the Asperger's as he feels its none of the employers business and I have no legal obligation to do so. However my mother advises me to declare it to them as she feels it is important that they know.

Am I best to tell employers or keep quiet about it? 

If i don't tell employers am I liable to be sued or dismissed etc further down the line if they found out?

Parents
  • I must admit to being a bit of a 'let it all hang out' person now, having done the flip-side and got not just the t-shirt, but several. As such, I would say have a think about the positive perspective.

As you are under no obligation either way, to disclose or otherwise, I would say:

a) do what makes you feel the most comfortable, do what feels right for you, do it on your terms.

b) ask yourself this question: do I want to work in an environment that is open and accepting of who I am, my Aspergers and abilities, is sympathetic, understanding and flexible so that if I need 'time out' I can get it without having to fight for it, (or worse, make excuses) and be around people who 'get me' and are positive, inclusive, and also perhaps want to maximise on the innate abilities I have and recognise my contribution, and work for an employer that is up to speed on their responsibilities etc etc. OR do I want to work in an environment where I am hiding in plain sight and constantly managing for the benefit of everyone else around me, and with the potential of 'being found out' - all sounds a bit negative I know but why walk round with the 'keep it hidden under wraps because it's negative' mindset??? - hanging over me like the sword of Damocles, and then the unnecessary stress and pressure that comes with that.

I know what I'd choose.

Ultimately any job is about the right fit. The right fit for you, the right fit for the employer. If in the event you choose to be open and put Aspergers on your CV, and during the interview they ask you about it, you can always say: what would you like to know? It would then be an opportunity for you to be you, and perhaps go some ways to dispelling the stigmas and myths and then other people can benefit too. You might be surprised that they take the initiative and say: we already have people who have Aspergers working for us...

And one last thing: how do you know that a potential employer ISN'T looking for someone with Aspergers? They might want someone with that extra little something, so...

Personally, at the end of the day, I think sticking to what interests you the most, and what inspires you, will lead you in the right direction towards a career that fits you best. Put yourself first and then I think the right job will just be there for you; and the right people too.

Best of luck with your career. 

• I must admit to being a bit of a 'let it all hang out' person now, having done the flip-side and got not just the t-shirt, but several. As such, I would say have a think about the positive perspective.

As you are under no obligation either way, to disclose or otherwise, I would say:

a) do what makes you feel the most comfortable, do what feels right for you, do it on your terms.

b) ask yourself this question: do I want to work in an environment that is open and accepting of who I am, my Aspergers and abilities, is sympathetic, understanding and flexible so that if I need 'time out' I can get it without having to fight for it, (or worse, make excuses) and be around people who 'get me' and are positive, inclusive, and also perhaps want to maximise on the innate abilities I have and recognise my contribution, and work for an employer that is up to speed on their responsibilities etc etc. OR do I want to work in an environment where I am hiding in plain sight and constantly managing for the benefit of everyone else around me, and with the potential of 'being found out' - all sounds a bit negative I know but why walk round with the 'keep it hidden under wraps because it's negative' mindset??? - hanging over me like the sword of Damocles, and then the unnecessary stress and pressure that comes with that.

I know what I'd choose.

Ultimately any job is about the right fit. The right fit for you, the right fit for the employer. If in the event you choose to be open and put Aspergers on your CV, and during the interview they ask you about it, you can always say: what would you like to know? It would then be an opportunity for you to be you, and perhaps go some ways to dispelling the stigmas and myths and then other people can benefit too. You might be surprised that they take the initiative and say: we already have people who have Aspergers working for us...

And one last thing: how do you know that a potential employer ISN'T looking for someone with Aspergers? They might want someone with that extra little something, so...

Personally, at the end of the day, I think sticking to what interests you the most, and what inspires you, will lead you in the right direction towards a career that fits you best. Put yourself first and then I think the right job will just be there for you; and the right people too.

Best of luck with your career. 

Children
No Data