PIP assessment. Argh. Any positive stories?

Hello Forum People. 

I had my dreaded PIP assessment for my renewal a week or so ago. I currently get the enhanced daily living component based on a previous mental health issues only diagnosis but since then I've been diagnosed with Asperger's.

The assessment was worse than I expected. I was constantly cut off mid way through explanations and rarely allowed to finish answering questions. When I was able to answer a bit more fully I was asked 'why' again and again: 'why was I not under the mental health team?', 'why did I not receive help from an Asperger's service?' and 'why could I not do x or y?' - all questions beyond my understanding or control (ie funding cuts mean there is not an adult Asperger's service in my area). 

I am now panicking...a lot. My ESA is tied into my PIP benefit. I can't face losing either, let alone both. 

My question is: has anyone had any kind of positive stories about PIP, especially after such a negative assessment experience? I hope so... 

Thank you. 

Parents
  • Hi Emma,

So sorry that you are going through such a difficult time with your brother.  The following information about contacting the NAS Welfare Rights Service may be of use to you:

For advice and information about DLA or any other benefits please contact our Welfare Rights Service. They're available to offer you advice and information on what benefits you may be entitled to, general advice on completing claim forms, and what to do if you think a decision is wrong and appeal to a tribunal.

To use our Welfare Rights Service, you'll need to book a telephone appointment, which you can do by email: welfare.rights@nas.org.uk. Please include your age (or the age of the person in question), details of your benefits query, and tell us where in the UK you live. We aim to reply within 10 working days.

You could also book an appointment by calling our Autism Helpline 0808 800 4104 (Monday-Thursday 10am-4pm, Friday 9am-3pm) or by filling in our contact form: http://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/welfare-rights/contact.aspx

I hope that helps.  Take care.

Kerri-Mod

• Hi Emma,

So sorry that you are going through such a difficult time with your brother.  The following information about contacting the NAS Welfare Rights Service may be of use to you:

For advice and information about DLA or any other benefits please contact our Welfare Rights Service. They're available to offer you advice and information on what benefits you may be entitled to, general advice on completing claim forms, and what to do if you think a decision is wrong and appeal to a tribunal.

To use our Welfare Rights Service, you'll need to book a telephone appointment, which you can do by email: welfare.rights@nas.org.uk. Please include your age (or the age of the person in question), details of your benefits query, and tell us where in the UK you live. We aim to reply within 10 working days.

You could also book an appointment by calling our Autism Helpline 0808 800 4104 (Monday-Thursday 10am-4pm, Friday 9am-3pm) or by filling in our contact form: http://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/welfare-rights/contact.aspx

I hope that helps.  Take care.

Kerri-Mod

Children
No Data