PIP assessment. Argh. Any positive stories?

Hello Forum People. 

I had my dreaded PIP assessment for my renewal a week or so ago. I currently get the enhanced daily living component based on a previous mental health issues only diagnosis but since then I've been diagnosed with Asperger's.

The assessment was worse than I expected. I was constantly cut off mid way through explanations and rarely allowed to finish answering questions. When I was able to answer a bit more fully I was asked 'why' again and again: 'why was I not under the mental health team?', 'why did I not receive help from an Asperger's service?' and 'why could I not do x or y?' - all questions beyond my understanding or control (ie funding cuts mean there is not an adult Asperger's service in my area). 

I am now panicking...a lot. My ESA is tied into my PIP benefit. I can't face losing either, let alone both. 

My question is: has anyone had any kind of positive stories about PIP, especially after such a negative assessment experience? I hope so... 

Thank you. 

Parents
  • To Jam-One-Love I presume, 

Being that your previous diagnosis has led to your current one, it would seem sensible that your benefit will be paid as per usual.

The fact that your explanations were interrupted during the assessment, and that you were unable to answer particular questions - gives seemingly clear examples of problems with social communication and imagination, and this will probably go well in your favour. This applied for me also as an Aspergian.

Keep in mind also, that PIP assessors have to ask alot of questions to ask, and the Aspergian way of communicating can be rather problematic for the unititiated - especially in terms of limited time frames. My assessor for instance got more and more impatient with me as the assessment went on; as much due to having other appointments to go to - and me not beiing able to give short or simple enough answers for the questions.

I trust you will have good returns from the assesment, or if not even better ones!   

• To Jam-One-Love I presume, 

Being that your previous diagnosis has led to your current one, it would seem sensible that your benefit will be paid as per usual.

The fact that your explanations were interrupted during the assessment, and that you were unable to answer particular questions - gives seemingly clear examples of problems with social communication and imagination, and this will probably go well in your favour. This applied for me also as an Aspergian.

Keep in mind also, that PIP assessors have to ask alot of questions to ask, and the Aspergian way of communicating can be rather problematic for the unititiated - especially in terms of limited time frames. My assessor for instance got more and more impatient with me as the assessment went on; as much due to having other appointments to go to - and me not beiing able to give short or simple enough answers for the questions.

I trust you will have good returns from the assesment, or if not even better ones!   

Children
No Data