PIP assessment. Argh. Any positive stories?

Hello Forum People. 

I had my dreaded PIP assessment for my renewal a week or so ago. I currently get the enhanced daily living component based on a previous mental health issues only diagnosis but since then I've been diagnosed with Asperger's.

The assessment was worse than I expected. I was constantly cut off mid way through explanations and rarely allowed to finish answering questions. When I was able to answer a bit more fully I was asked 'why' again and again: 'why was I not under the mental health team?', 'why did I not receive help from an Asperger's service?' and 'why could I not do x or y?' - all questions beyond my understanding or control (ie funding cuts mean there is not an adult Asperger's service in my area). 

I am now panicking...a lot. My ESA is tied into my PIP benefit. I can't face losing either, let alone both. 

My question is: has anyone had any kind of positive stories about PIP, especially after such a negative assessment experience? I hope so... 

Thank you. 

Parents
  • I have just had the pip tribunal 21st April 2019, it was brutal, they are totally insensitive to the needs of people with autism, I still feel traumatized by it and will do for a long time yet. They gave me the standard rate of pip which I am totally grateful for after reading things online. This doesn't excuse the total lack of understanding for people with autism, criminals are treated better!.

• Hi.  How long did you have to wait for the tribunal ? The people who help me said I should expect it to take a year before the tribunal... There just seems to be very little / no support for adults with ASD.  I keep thinking it would be easier to go back to self medicating with drink and drugs and hopeful do myself in.

• I waited just over 12 months for my tribunal, although I got a cancellation, just before Christmas, so I may have waited  a little longer than that had I not taken the cancellation.  I’ve had loads of support post diagnosis and where I live there are several really good support groups for adults and lots to do, but I know that support is patchy across the country. I think it depends as well on what type of support you need. Do you know what support you want or need or what you think will be most helpful to you? Sometimes you have to think outside the box to get the help you need and you might find it in different places to where you first might think it will be. For help with the tribunal, I saw a DIAL office and had an idea they supported people with disabilities so I just walked into their office one day and asked them if they would help me and they said yes, they were great and prepared me very well for the tribunal. I think the average wait time for tribunals is currently around a year, maybe a little over. 

• I waited just over 12 months for my tribunal, although I got a cancellation, just before Christmas, so I may have waited  a little longer than that had I not taken the cancellation.  I’ve had loads of support post diagnosis and where I live there are several really good support groups for adults and lots to do, but I know that support is patchy across the country. I think it depends as well on what type of support you need. Do you know what support you want or need or what you think will be most helpful to you? Sometimes you have to think outside the box to get the help you need and you might find it in different places to where you first might think it will be. For help with the tribunal, I saw a DIAL office and had an idea they supported people with disabilities so I just walked into their office one day and asked them if they would help me and they said yes, they were great and prepared me very well for the tribunal. I think the average wait time for tribunals is currently around a year, maybe a little over. 

Children
No Data