Can you have Asperger's without a 'special interest'?

When I was diagnosed I was told that I had either high functioning autism or Asperger's. The official letter I received stated that my diagnosis was Asperger's. I don't have a special interest that I obsess over though. Well not that I can think of. Do you have to have one if you have Asperger's? Thanks

Parents
  • Can anyone define speical interest exactly or is it a broad term? 

Like for me I do delve deep into most of not all my hobbies so is it this deep diving into the rules the workings and the history of something t what makes it speical or do you think its 1 interest without others that makes it speical ?

The NAS 's description includes: 

"Many autistic people have intense and highly-focused interests, often from a fairly young age. These can change over time or be lifelong. It can be art, music, gardening, animals, postcodes or numbers. For many younger children it's Thomas the Tank Engine, dinosaurs or particular cartoon characters. 

Autistic people might also become attached to objects (or parts of objects), such as toys, figurines or model cars – or more unusual objects like milk bottle tops, stones or shoes. An interest in collecting is also quite common.

Autistic people often report that the pursuit of such interests is fundamental to their wellbeing and happiness, and many channel their interest into studying, paid work, volunteering, or other meaningful occupations. The interest can:

• provide structure, order and predictability, and help people manage the uncertainties of daily life
    • give someone a way to start conversations and feel more self-assured in social situations
    • help someone to relax and feel happy."

The NAS 's description includes: 

"Many autistic people have intense and highly-focused interests, often from a fairly young age. These can change over time or be lifelong. It can be art, music, gardening, animals, postcodes or numbers. For many younger children it's Thomas the Tank Engine, dinosaurs or particular cartoon characters. 

Autistic people might also become attached to objects (or parts of objects), such as toys, figurines or model cars – or more unusual objects like milk bottle tops, stones or shoes. An interest in collecting is also quite common.

Autistic people often report that the pursuit of such interests is fundamental to their wellbeing and happiness, and many channel their interest into studying, paid work, volunteering, or other meaningful occupations. The interest can:

• provide structure, order and predictability, and help people manage the uncertainties of daily life
    • give someone a way to start conversations and feel more self-assured in social situations
    • help someone to relax and feel happy."
Children
No Data