Some questions about the RAADS-R Autism test

When filling out the RAADS-R 

embrace-autism.com/.../

The response options are 

1. True now and when I was young
  2.  True only now
  3.  True only when I was younger than 16
  4.  Never true

But I'm a bit unsure what I should put if something is sometimes true but sometimes isn't. Should I put option 1 because that is more accurate than option 4. But if it isn't true all the time then option 1 doesn't seem that accurate either.

I'm also confused what to put in response to questions like 

"I have a hard time figuring out what some phrases mean, like 'you are the apple of my eye.'"

because I do know what it means because I've learnt what it means, but I can't work out why it means that. So how should I answer?

"I am considered a compassionate type of person" - this one, I think other people would consider me a compassionate person, but I thinks that's probably because of masking or something, so not sure what I should answer this one.

I think I am probably over thinking all this, but it's important I get this right, especially as I want to show my results to my GP if I ask about getting a disgnosis.

Parents
  • "I have a hard time figuring out what some phrases mean, like 'you are the apple of my eye.'"

I know what this means (your my favourite) but what the hell does an apple have to do with an eye?? Is it because they are a similar shape?. 
    I did come across another one of these phrases a few days ago (although I have heard this before. “Close but no cigar”. I know it means something nearly happened but what does a cigar and it actually happening have in common? 

• "I have a hard time figuring out what some phrases mean, like 'you are the apple of my eye.'"

I know what this means (your my favourite) but what the hell does an apple have to do with an eye?? Is it because they are a similar shape?. 
    I did come across another one of these phrases a few days ago (although I have heard this before. “Close but no cigar”. I know it means something nearly happened but what does a cigar and it actually happening have in common? 

Children
  • It's a very old expression. The apple of the eye was the pupil, without which the eye is useless. I think the expression is old enough that it is from the days when apple was a word for any fruit, so then the image is that the pupil is the fruit of the eye, so maybe not so much the roundness as the value, as fruit was the most important part of a fruiting plant.

• "Close but no cigar" - I think, from watching some movies and TV shows, that it's traditional after signing a big deal or agreement to celebrate by lighting and smoking big fat cigars. 

So then "close but no cigar" meant someone got close to agreeing a big deal, but not close enough to have actually signed the documents and completed the deal.

• Apples were highly prized in the days before refrigeration and canning. If kept in a cool dry place like a root cellar, apples could last though the winter. The phrase, "You're the apple of my eye" is an analogy. Since apples are valued, it means that you are just as valued. 

• Winners get cigars. 2nd place is as close as last. 

Which is a metaphor with subtext to say only winning counts.