Artificial intelligence discussion

Hi, I've just completed a short course on artificial intelligence. These are some things I learned:

Artificial intelligence is often thought of as scary robots, e.g. Terminator, but AI is used in computer systems to do things like suggest films or books you might like, based on your previous choices. It uses a range of technologies, from simple rule based systems such as " if this is true (or if this is false), then do this" to a complex 'neural net' that is a simplistic model of how the brain works, and can be trained (machine learning)

As well as being used on social media or shopping sites, AI can identify things such as tumour cells in a medical scan or identify galaxies in photographs or from space. Large language models can generate rich interesting text in any language and translate, restructure or re-phrase text. A related field is image generation, where brand new images are generated by the AI. 

In Soeul, AI mini robots were used in a pilot scheme to show senior citizens how to use technology such as smart phones, to enable them to better participate in society and help with preventing loneliness.

Youve probably heard of self driving cars. One accident that happened was a self driving car hitting a truck that pulled out in front of it at a junction in the city. This was because the AI had been trained to drive on a highway, not city streets, and the image of a truck it had been given was a view of the back of a truck. When it saw the side of the truck as it pulled out, it thought it was a road sign and so attempted to drive under it. The AI had no perception that the space under the truck was lower than the vehicle it was driving.

There are issues around ethics, inclusion and sustainability. For example, if AI is trained using data that is biased, the AI will acquire that bias. Although it can be used for facial recognition, it can sometimes struggle to determine gender and the darker the skin tone, the less accurate are the results. Training AI uses massive amounts of resources.

What are your thoughts?

And would you be comfortable having an AI robot in your home to help with tasks?

Parents
  • AI as it is now seems like a novelty, used by lazy hacks to spaff out crappy spam or copy paste pictures.  Of course it will be used to spread disinformation, commit crimes and decieve people.

And the corporations will use it to harvest data for profit until it eventually gets leaked or stolen.

And the law is still a century behind electronic shenanigans so it can't be properly regulated for years to come.

Not to mention how dangerous it would be if it did the thinking for us or be twisted into manipulating the world and society.

That said, if AI was restricted to certain applications and industries, like research and development, science to help crunch data and such for medicine and space development maybe that's where it's true value lies.

• I think I've figured out half an algorythm to make it work to establish the veracity of a statement or person...

Now that would set the cat amongst the pigeons.

Reply Children
No Data