Interview Reasonable Adjustments

Hi All, 

I've got Autism and ADHD. I'm applying for jobs at the moment. Most of the roles I've applied for haven't asked if I need reasonable adjustments so I haven't asked for them but I'm struggling.

The challenges I've identified are that 1) I massively overprepare for interviews due to uncertainty, 2) when they ask questions that I haven't foreseen and scripted I can get knocked of course, 3) With questions relating to work history and achievements I can give strong factual answers but my autobiographical memory isn't great, 4) I can't process my thoughts, prioritise, and order them sufficiently before I need to answer, so my answers are often longer and more rambling than wanted (my brain works from the details to the headline by talking or writing which I can't do in interview).    

Can anyone tell me about what reasonable adjustments they have benefited from, or that might benefit me and other autistic people when approaching and attending interviews? 

Many Thanks

Parents
  • I have similar issues, and adjustments I've found helpful are:

1. meet online rather than in person can take away some of the anxiety of an already stressful situation

2. ask for the questions to be put in the 'chat' function (or printed out for you) so that you can read them and use them to focus.

3. ask to be able to take notes during the interview - writing down key words and planning your answers. If you're online, tell them you're writing so they know you are still on track, and just need a moment to process.

4. ask for additional time to process information in a stressful situation (be clear on what percentage of the interview time you need - e.g. 25% or 100% extra). I found this slowed the interview down and allowed me time to draw a quick mind map to focus my reply.

5. you could ask for the questions in advance - I haven't tried this as I don't know how far in advance would be helpful for me to plan my answers, but maybe an hour before would be helpful?

One thing to bear in mind when asking for adjustments, prospective employers will want to know how this impacts your ability to do the job, if a similar situation arises e.g. someone asks you last minute to do something urgently. Be prepared to be forthcoming to tell them how you would cope with that, and outline what it is about interviews that is difficult that wouldn't be a problem in the workplace. My usual thing is to have agendas for meetings to allow me to prepare the correct information.

Essentially, ask them to fit with you on how you form your answers - how do you keep them concise? How do you keep focus when answering a question? How can you do this in an interview?

Remember you can ask lots of clarifying questions about what they mean, particularly if some of the words they use don't make sense, or have multiple meanings. Some interviews are really strict that ask all the candidates the same questions (to help them compare); other interviews are more able to go 'off script' and ask you more specific questions based on what you did/didn't say.

Good luck!

• I have similar issues, and adjustments I've found helpful are:

1. meet online rather than in person can take away some of the anxiety of an already stressful situation

2. ask for the questions to be put in the 'chat' function (or printed out for you) so that you can read them and use them to focus.

3. ask to be able to take notes during the interview - writing down key words and planning your answers. If you're online, tell them you're writing so they know you are still on track, and just need a moment to process.

4. ask for additional time to process information in a stressful situation (be clear on what percentage of the interview time you need - e.g. 25% or 100% extra). I found this slowed the interview down and allowed me time to draw a quick mind map to focus my reply.

5. you could ask for the questions in advance - I haven't tried this as I don't know how far in advance would be helpful for me to plan my answers, but maybe an hour before would be helpful?

One thing to bear in mind when asking for adjustments, prospective employers will want to know how this impacts your ability to do the job, if a similar situation arises e.g. someone asks you last minute to do something urgently. Be prepared to be forthcoming to tell them how you would cope with that, and outline what it is about interviews that is difficult that wouldn't be a problem in the workplace. My usual thing is to have agendas for meetings to allow me to prepare the correct information.

Essentially, ask them to fit with you on how you form your answers - how do you keep them concise? How do you keep focus when answering a question? How can you do this in an interview?

Remember you can ask lots of clarifying questions about what they mean, particularly if some of the words they use don't make sense, or have multiple meanings. Some interviews are really strict that ask all the candidates the same questions (to help them compare); other interviews are more able to go 'off script' and ask you more specific questions based on what you did/didn't say.

Good luck!

Children
No Data