Do you like or want to - work?

I have recently retired from work. It was long awaited and I have not missed the job at all ( the people I worked with were nice, but the job itself had become a mixture of stressful and tedious)

I have never particularly enjoyed working. I have got some sense of satisfaction from doing a job well during certain periods of my working life, but in most jobs I had there were people - mostly managers - who I really did not enjoy spending my days with. I get bored quickly and so jobs became mundane in a short period of time, and if I put myself forward to do higher level tasks (that I was capable of) I was either refused the role or ended up doing the higher level stuff without getting the extra pay for it. And I've suffered burn out from time to time due to the stress of work making me exhausted.

I know that a lot of autistic people are unable to work but would like to, and that many people get a sense of self worth from working and a better lifestyle (due to having wages) But I feel that society may over value work in some ways, and that maybe it programmes us to think that not working is lazy or unproductive? However there are some wealthy people who do little to no work and nobody calls them lazy. I heard a saying somewhere that I like: "we're human beings, not human doings". Perhaps that's a good answer next time someone asks - "so, what do you do?"

I just wondered what everyone's views were about working?

If you currently work, would you give up working if you became financially independent?

If you do not work but would like to, or want a career change, what would your dream job be?

If you do not work and have no wish to, or are retired or cannot work due to health reasons, how do you structure your days?

Parents
  • I don’t like working, I like doing my own thing and having time to rest!! I’ve never had a job but I’ve only just left high school - I took a gap year this year and it’s been amazing not having to be at school every day. I’ve still done learning but I’ve been able to go at my own pace and take lots of breaks and focus on what interests me, and i was able to have way more fun and be way more creative! I did a week of work experience and while it wasn’t bad necessarily I was incredibly exhausted at the end of the week and the monotonous nature of it was not very appealing to me. I’m thinking I’ll probably move around career wise in the future and work part time where I can although obviously my financial situation might not allow for that.

• You sound spot on wait till you find your job that fits your skills and you will enjoy.

i want t get back to work and do a more helpful role as have had an appalling year dealing with councils and police I have learnt so much that they do wrong and I want too help other people get their rights

• I think working to help others or add something to society is a brilliant thing to strive for, and I hope I find a job that I enjoy which does that!

Reply Children
No Data