Yet Another Suitable Job Question!

I know that the same old question about suitable jobs for autistic people comes up time and time again, so I apologise up front Smile

I'm in my early 50's and have always worked in IT, most often on the technical side (dev). I was pushed out of my previous job earlier this year due to my conditions (chronic fatigue, ASD, FND + more). That job was a mix of development and business analysis, working on a very niche technology. I loved that job, but I became unreliable, having to take a lot of time off and my boss didn't know whether I would be fit to work from one day to the next.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago when I started a new job for a local authority working as a business analyst (no technical "getting your hands dirty").
I'm now starting to question whether being a pure BA is really my thing. Also, having always worked in the private sector, moving into local authority is a completely different beast (still not sure whether it is something that I will completely embrace or completely hate).

So now, after only a couple of weeks, I am starting to ponder whether I am in the right job, and if the answer is a resounding "No", then there are a number of barriers to me being a success doing something else, including...

• My health. I'm really struggling with mental fatigue
  • My skillset. Always been very niche and I am finding that there are is little to no demand for my skills & experience. Those technologies are used here and there, but they are maintained by cheap labour (read Asia, eastern Europe)
  • My difficulty picking up new skills (old dog & new tricks springs to mind!)

What I do excel at (or some may say, disabled by) is my attention to detail.
I'm your typical grammar police guy, but I do manage to exercise self restraint rather than pulling people up on social media regarding their inability to distinguish between "there, their and they're" or "lose & loose". Nonetheless, it does really trigger me in my mind and it distracts me from the bigger picture (I struggle to understand a piece of text because I am too caught up on what to me is a glaring error).

If you've got this far, thank you for hearing me out - hopefully you cam give me some pointers?

Parents Reply Children