Alcohol usage

I came across an article a few years back that says people on the autistic spectrum are four times more likely to become alcohol dependent or a full blown alcoholic. I personally have always loved drinking alcohol but recently I fear I have become dependent or worse. Recent events have caused me to be warned by the police about my behaviour. Other things have contribruted to this rise in alcohol usage. Does anyone else have this issue? Does anyone use it to escape their own mind? Cope with people and life? What are your thoughts and opinions?

Parents
  • A lot of us use alcohol as an escape from our sensory sentisivities and/or to relax ourselves enough to overcome our anxiety based resistance to engage with others.

My therapist said that autists are also prone to addictive behaviours due to the way our minds work but I've not seen the same corrollation myself.

I know I have always resisted taking drugs as I suspect it would be hard to resist the lure once you start.

• Just to point out although legal, alcohol is still a drug. 

• alcohol is still a drug.

And the sad honest truth is, it's also a poison.  I'm from the Professor David Nutt school of thought on these things.

• I absolutely support your point of view that alcohol is a depressant.
    I myself suffered from alcohol addiction for many years, I went through rehabilitation at alcohol rehab london where I ended up in severe depression with severe organ intoxication.
    There is only one conclusion, alcohol is a temporary joy that leads to severe addiction.

• Yep. I was going to add that but knowing this place thought someone would pull me up on it. It’s an absolute joke that the government pretty much sacked Nutt, when he is a professor and knows a damned sight more than they ever will. But hey, let’s let the big fat white private school guys form rules we all have to adhere to just because that’s what they ‘think’.

• I'm from the Professor David Nutt school of thought on these things

Me too.

Reply Children
  • I absolutely support your point of view that alcohol is a depressant.
    I myself suffered from alcohol addiction for many years, I went through rehabilitation at alcohol rehab london where I ended up in severe depression with severe organ intoxication.
    There is only one conclusion, alcohol is a temporary joy that leads to severe addiction.