Not Using My Name

Here is my thought today.

Does anyone have the experience I have that you are friendly say to a neighbour as I have been for many years you say hello and use their name but they never use mine.

Also in my road rather cruel the unfriendly people I know refer to me as him that man or to my Sister your brother.Any advice on how I can deal with this horrible de personalisation?

Second issue with business relationship they use my Christian name which I like and have said to do so.Then when there is a problem they de personalise by going back to calling me MR.

I love my Christian name and also its shortening that can be used I hate my surname.Any thoughts on a way did deal with these people and do other people get the same as me?

I also personally find it patronising the other extreme when my Christian name is used constantly in a conversation.My horrible step brother does this and it is not done in a friendly way.

My Dad practically never uses my name nor does he call me Son.So there it is I will be interested to get some views and advice.

Thanks Everyone

Parents
  • How strange, I was literally just thinking about this today except my experience is the opposite.  I really don't like anyone calling me by my name, I prefer "love", "dear", "Missus", "Ma'am", "Chuck", "Hen", "Pet" or any other colloquialism.  I just feel an internal jolt when someone says my name and always have.  It's especially intense in medical settings, similar to what Sporadic Sparkly mentioned below.  I don't call my daughter by her name much either, it's more pet names to show her I love her.  It's refreshing to see someone feels the opposite to me which has now made me consider why I dislike it so much...... The caveat here is that when a partner says my name it intensifies my feelings for them.  What can I say? I'm unique :-)

• No you are not unique in my view you have the same issues as me from a different angle.Funnily enough I would love a nickname from my Dad but he occasionally formally uses my full christian name or nothing.I would love him to call me son he never has thanks for your reply it has got me thinking as well

• No you are not unique in my view you have the same issues as me from a different angle.Funnily enough I would love a nickname from my Dad but he occasionally formally uses my full christian name or nothing.I would love him to call me son he never has thanks for your reply it has got me thinking as well

Children
No Data