I am undateable, and I'm ok with that

After much self reflection on my natural behaviour in social settings, my being accustomed to solitude and my tendency to keep to myself and remain unnoticed, I feel that I am unsuitable as a partner and as a friend.  

Due to my alexithymia I appear disinterested and miserable, and I am prone to burnout much more quickly and take more time to regain my emotional equilibrium.

I heard of an ND support group in my area, but I chose not to go, first because it was in the evening and a ways away from my home, and secondly I didn't feel ND enough that I would be more likely to be welcomed.

I also reject dating and social apps, I tried bumble a few times, but the people on there disgusted me, and the costs for full access were unacceptable.  

I also have to mask and deny my autism in public and in application forms, as a survival mechanism, I can manage for most of the day before returning home to recharge.

I accepted myself in that I am stunted, awkward, misanthropic and I have only my family and personal interests to keep me going.  I also have to push my real feelings deep down where they can't harm anyone and keep to myself but at the same time not be a nasty bellend.

Parents
  • Firstly I think you are brave and you have a great understanding of yourself.With dating it is  personal thing,I personally have always found it a nightmare and I get insecure in the early stages if a call or text is not returned quickly or if a date gets cancelled.Then I get blame as being over keen.For me I recognise that having a partner would be a nightmare so I am comfortable in my own skin being single and never having children.Relationships are a minefield but who knows if someone is out there that is the one .I just no longer care .Hope that is of some help

• Thanks.  I'm not 100% sure I'll stay single in 20 years time, it's all a matter of chance, but I can try to nudge the odds in my favour.

Reply Children
No Data