Multitasking

Hi

Is it unusual to be able to multi task in some situations above average, or at least very well.

Generally, my executive function...organising, general day to day functioning, is non existent, but there was a job I had where I could function on multiple tasks extremely competently.

I am confused by this.  I also have ADHD.

Thanks

Parents
  • please elaborate about the successful job situation.

• Hi to both Iain and humane and thank you for your time and writing.

the job was shorter order cook, pub restaurant and bar food. So lots of mixed grills, general pub grub, alongside restaurant. Sometimes 30 covers, or tickets, waiting or in process of being cooked. Never felt flustered, calm, in control, np panic. Yes…hyper focused sounds accurate description and interesting that short tasks would allow for that, Iain. Almost danced around the kitchen. Very enjoyable. I sometimes find myself doubting myself which is distressing since my life is so chaotic and non functional in terms of managing life…paperwork of any kind, house duties…I have total isolation, no people in life, not seen anyone outside of two interactions with mental health services since first week November. But then able to multitask in this job so began obsessing over autism…feel quite crushed at times, don’t think it should be this hard, life. Why is it so important to have and accept a diagnosis, why can’t we just be who we are. Thanks again gentle people, much appreciated x

• Why is it so important to have and accept a diagnosis, why can’t we just be who we are.

The diagnosis has 2 key benefits:

1 - it confirms that the condition is present. If it is present then you know more about the causes and can look for effective ways to deal with these. Knowledge = power.

2 - It provides you with a label as being disabled. If you suffer really badly from any of the autistic traits then it opens doors to get things like "Reasonable Adjustments" if you work or possibly PIP to support yourself.

We can only ever be what we are - getting others to accept it one thing but making the world better for us is a completely different kettle of fish.

Chances are that one thing that is bad for one autist is good for another - and we are such a mix of different traits at different levels that you never get a "typical" autist - therefore trying to accommodate for us is nearly impossible,

The best we can ever really hope for is a better understanding of the condition and more acceptance by the wider public in giving us reasonable adjustments where practical.

• I feel in some ways that the testing is subjective and some reliance is on the experience and life experience and even personality and personal views of the person doing it.

The person doing the test on you should be a trained professional with a lot of experience in the field, so they are trained to take the personal views element out of the test.

I think it is proabably a bit like something akin to a driving test - you get some examiners who are stricter than others, but all have to meet the same basic standard.

Most of the autism tests also use the likes of a RAADS test to take out the human element as well, but as some people are not entirely truthful when taking the tests there needs to be an element of using each of the main pillars of the assessment to see it they have a quorum to reach a conclusion.

This means you can lie in the test or hide things in the face to face assessment or gloss over your history - so long as 2 of these are in agreement then you should get the "pass" for a diagnosis.

• I feel in some ways that the testing is subjective and some reliance is on the experience and life experience and even personality and personal views of the person doing it.

The person doing the test on you should be a trained professional with a lot of experience in the field, so they are trained to take the personal views element out of the test.

I think it is proabably a bit like something akin to a driving test - you get some examiners who are stricter than others, but all have to meet the same basic standard.

Most of the autism tests also use the likes of a RAADS test to take out the human element as well, but as some people are not entirely truthful when taking the tests there needs to be an element of using each of the main pillars of the assessment to see it they have a quorum to reach a conclusion.

This means you can lie in the test or hide things in the face to face assessment or gloss over your history - so long as 2 of these are in agreement then you should get the "pass" for a diagnosis.

Children
No Data