High Functioning

Is What does this actally mean in practice, not the dictionary definition, but for those of us so labelled? Although no ones ever told me I'm high functioning, I guess I am.

Is it a helpful term or unhelpful?

Does it express our experiences properly or reflect away from them?

Is this a term more helpful to NT's than us?

Personally I find the term a bit insulting as well as divisive and dismissive.

Parents
  • Does anyone think saying something like “high masking” instead of ‘high functioning’ could be helpful?

I thought since masking could probably have some part with people thinking you are arent struggling as much as you are (which some of you mentioned). But I think there are also people with like intellectual disabilities who would be considered “low functioning” regardless if they masked. So maybe something like “Im a high masking autistic with no intellectual disabilities”? It probably isnt much more helpful but maybe it can give someone a better idea

Or some people say “has high support needs/ low support needs”

Others I know will just say the persons specific support needs but I feel like that could be inconvenient in a quick comment.

I personally just say autistic and dont ussually mention “functionality” unless its needed for the specific thing im talking about.

There probably isnt a prrfect termnology

• Hi FH

I am really not sure about “high masking” either I  do mask a huge amount and pay for the privilege. For example we had a big party at our house at the weekend, there were 6 families of our friends and children also. You know how it goes I suppose, I keep myself busy on the bbq and tending to the guests, dip in and out of conversation so as not to mess up my words and sneak off to the toilet to try and regulate myself. I would find it near impossible to reveal myself as high masking, not because I have a problem with it but I would worry that I would be classed as a fraud by all these typical people who think differently. I think the only way to be is to not give a s**t what anyone thinks about me. This is something that has never come naturally to me and even as a child can remember playing the game of fitting in to survive. I hope I can reach my goal of feeling liberated one day by suiting myself. 

• Hi FH

I am really not sure about “high masking” either I  do mask a huge amount and pay for the privilege. For example we had a big party at our house at the weekend, there were 6 families of our friends and children also. You know how it goes I suppose, I keep myself busy on the bbq and tending to the guests, dip in and out of conversation so as not to mess up my words and sneak off to the toilet to try and regulate myself. I would find it near impossible to reveal myself as high masking, not because I have a problem with it but I would worry that I would be classed as a fraud by all these typical people who think differently. I think the only way to be is to not give a s**t what anyone thinks about me. This is something that has never come naturally to me and even as a child can remember playing the game of fitting in to survive. I hope I can reach my goal of feeling liberated one day by suiting myself. 

Children
No Data