Understanding accents

I have a major problem with being able to decipher accents (ie understand what the person is talking about) and in fact it can lead to major embarrassment and probably cost me a job I had too.

I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that this is an autistic thing.

Does anyone else find that this is the case and/or have any light to throw on the subject?

Thanks.

Parents
  • Thank you so much for bringing this up as it's something I really struggle with too.

I agree with CM, I suspect it's due to auditory processing issues which are connected to my autism. But it's really inconvenient. It's particularly a problem for me with lectures and talks, I find it difficult to manage them anyway, but when they have an accent it's still harder, and it exhausts me more. 

• Thank you so much for bringing this up as it's something I really struggle with too.

I agree with CM, I suspect it's due to auditory processing issues which are connected to my autism. But it's really inconvenient. It's particularly a problem for me with lectures and talks, I find it difficult to manage them anyway, but when they have an accent it's still harder, and it exhausts me more. 

Children
No Data