Hyper-empathy or Hypervigilance

Is hyper-empathy autistics actually hypervigilance due to trauma?

• No, I don't think so.  I enjoy hyper vigilance but don't recall any notable trauma ...... and I endure hyper empathy too.

• Because I think that what is called hyper sensitivity is entirely natural and has become blunted in many, especially NT's, maybe us autistics could/should be running workshops and retreats to get people back to being fully immerced in the sensory world?

I think not only would this empowering for us as autistic people, showing that we have something to offer, but also as a way of getting NT's and others to experience our world. It could end up being good for us too, if more people were connected to their senses then maybe the world would become quieter?

I would see classes and group work starting with guided meditations, gradually focussing more deeply on every sense individually and together.

• No I wouldn't of thought so, I have PTSD and am hypervigilant, I'm also very empathetic, not just towards humans but everything around me. I really wonder if humans wern't always this hypervigilant and empathetic, I wonder if we've made our environment so safe, that many are blunted? We've made fairly sure in most countries that there are no animals that pose a threat to us, we're top of the food chain and the apex predator, apart from eachother what do we really have to fear? OK I know we all have our fears and phobias and stuff, but we have the same stone age bodies of our hunter gatherer ancestors, when there were plenty of creatures around who would see a human as a handy snack.