Dog walking in busy places

Hello. I've not long come back from walking my two chihuahuas and having to hide under a blanket for an hour. Yes, it's Easter Sunday so everyone is out and to make matters worse we live on a holiday park so we are suddenly invaded by families.

In short, by the time we completed the shortest version of our familiar routes round the Park I ended up swearing and shouting at a family because passing them on a narrow path led to my small dogs getting dragged to one side as their child refused to pass by and went red in the face and crying. It was just the final straw!

It's not an option not to go out for a walk, both for the dogs' sakes and mine, as we all get really antsy if the routine is upset and we don't get exercise/fresh air. I try really hard to mentally bubble us so other people don't affect me too badly, but any kind of unexpected event - like today a kid wanting to pet the dogs as another dog walked right past, meaning my two freaked out - just throws me. 

It doesn't help right now that we don't have a car, but even when we do the same issues can happen and I don't want to drive out every day in any case.

So how does anyone else - dog walkers or otherwise I guess - cope with trying to stay calm in busy places, or even just being outside (overwhelming in itself)? Is there something I can do so that I feel more resilient and don't end up hating that I've been aggressive to others, especially my poor dogs?!

Parents
  • I put headphones on and people mostly ignore me (unless my dog likes theirs, then awkwardness happens). And pick times when it's quietest. 

• Picking a quiet time is easier said than done, I don't think there are any, some people want to get up and watch dawn break and others want to stay out all night, the middle of the day is full of families. It's one of the reasons I want to move back to the middle of nowhere and out of a village.

• It's all relative. You're going to see people anyway, but generally I see a lot fewer people if I go either before 8 or sorta 10-11am.

Reply Children
  • No Tris it's one of the worst times for me, mornings are disgusting and should be slept through, I've had my fill of having to get up at sparrow fart for work, kids etc and anyhow living in  a farming area people are up and about early. I mean someone might try and be happy at me and morning people like being grunted at even less than others. Why do people treat mornings as something almost holy and expect everyone to be happy at being up and about when normal people (owls) are sleeping? lol

• It's the best time! Most people aren't on their way to work or school yet and in summer it hasn't hit 30° yet (also my dog super doesn't appreciate having to wait around for hours between his breakfast and walk). 

• Tris anything before 8am is the middle of the night!