Monotropism and Me: article by Fergus Murray

I was talking to someone today about how I tend to focus on one thing 'obsessively' for a period of time, to the exclusion of a lot of other things, and then it changes, and I have another 'fixation'.

I found this interesting article:

https://www.bps.org.uk/psychologist/me-and-monotropism-unified-theory-autism

How does your monotropism manifest itself?

• But this is the first article I’ve seen using it to explain sensory problems too. Interesting.

I thought the same.

• It’s an absolutely brilliant article, I find it really relatable!

That's good to hear Blush

• When I want things to stop but they won't or can't or don't! 

BBS.

Busy Brain Syndrome.

I copyright that as I just made it up.

• Which can also go the other way. When I want things to stop but they won't or can't or don't! 

• time doesn't exist.

Indeed.

That's how it is Blush

• Also I can have queries from NTs when they ask me a question and I have to ask them to repeat it. If I am focused on something I don't hear the first bit. They need to get my attention first.

I do that with speaking from anyone - and so does my autistic friend.

• It’s an absolutely brilliant article, I find it really relatable!

One way in which being monotropic impacts me is that I find interruptions really jarring, it feels the task I am focusing on in that moment is the most important thing in the world.

• And I just wonder how, if you are potentially ADHD/ADD this adds to the mix. Because repetition and focus certainly helps to regulate oneself, however when you find difficulty concentrating and initiating tasks and sticking with it......you cant regulate yourself the same. Again it's like my brain needs a certain way to operate but the mechanics and logistics don't match.

If I am able to not be interrupted and am doing something I am interested in or enjoy, time doesn't exist.

• Interesting.

I do focus and research on things and don't understand why others wouldn't want to know more.

I remember as a child if I read a good book I struggled to put it down. Then when I lived alone I could go to bed late if I got into something.

I think this is one reason I get stressed at work when it is busy, as I have to keep switching from one thing to another. The most satisfying days are when there is a problem to solve and no interruptions.

The bit about literal thinking was interesting, as I often think literally before my mind comes around to what was intended. Also I can have queries from NTs when they ask me a question and I have to ask them to repeat it. If I am focused on something I don't hear the first bit. They need to get my attention first.

• Monotropism does seem like quite a good explanation for much of what we experience. I need to read more about it.

I’ve always been aware that I tend to focus obsessively on interests and that at work inertia is a curse by hyper focus is a blessing. If only we could learn to harness these traits!

But this is the first article I’ve seen using it to explain sensory problems too. Interesting.