Do you have the things you want in life and are the things you want the things you need?

I've found that over the years I've let a lot of things fall away, including people, possessions, what I felt were needs but probably were just desires.

You may get to a certain point in life and think: well, here I am, this isn't where I thought I'd be when I was 16, but I'm surprisingly content with where I am and what I've got.

How I got to this point is a long story.

We all have a history, a life story.

Education, relationships, jobs, home - all milestones (or in some cases stones to fall over or block your way).

What do others feel about where they are now, how they got there and where they think they might want to go?

This will differ from generation to generation, I suspect.

• We all have a history, a life story.

I would be interested to know everyone's life story. I expect we have all had a hell of a life really, I know I have.. if my life is secretly a TV series then I'm definitely the Victor Meldrew of the series lol.

Overall I can say my life is in a great place - a better place than I imagined it ever would be. I have a girlfriend (I definitely never expected her to be a part of my life now), my mental health has improved steadily over time and my working in preschool is going amazingly.

I'm beyond where I wanted to be at this time of my life and it feels good to be alive Slight smile 

Six years ago I was a recluse, shut away from the world and so anxious and depressed I never thought any of the above would be possible for me.

I owe it all to my girlfriend Eleanor, she literally turned my life around and made it better and I'll always be grateful to her for that.

The future looks good. We're hoping to have children and I'm hoping to get in to better work so fingers crossed both will happen at some point.

• I have a Jaguar MK2 (Inspector Morse car).

I live in an old cottage with a thatched roof.

Ooh...

Those 2 things would make me very content!

I don't want much more than I've got now.

Nice.

• I learned a long time ago that life will never be perfect and that brought me a comfort and this inner peace.

I am extremely pleased with my life thus far.

I have a Jaguar MK2 (Inspector Morse car).

I live in an old cottage with a thatched roof.

I've got a gorgeous cat!

Every day I listen to fantastic music.

I'm lucky enough to be able to work part time.

To be honest, despite a few health problems (Lupus, etc), I am happy and content with life and where I am. I do miss my childhood as life was simple and carefree back then, and my parents were both healthy and happy.

But for me personally now life isn't too bad.

I don't want much more than I've got now.

• That's really positive to read Yellow tree. I hope you will always feel at peace in your life.

• Thanks. I think I am pretty peaceful generally as long as my family is alright and my health and their health is good that’s what makes me feel good. I’ve never wanted a big mansion or fame or anything like that. Just the simple things I guess. That’s good that you found some peace. The Rolling Stones were very peaceful I like they’re music.

• As the Rolling Stones said - “you can’t always get what you want but if you try sometimes you just might find you get what you need”. 

Absolutely!

Just peace that’s all I want

An extremely valuable commodity.

Peace is something I only found in later life.

I hope you have it or if you don't, that you achieve it soon.

• I’m sure your life will go somewhere good. I guess relationships and having kids is not the be all and end all. I mean it’s good to have kids but not having them isn’t necessarily a bad thing either. It’s less responsibility for one thing. 

• I don’t feel as though I want much in life. Just peace that’s all I want. As the Rolling Stones said - “you can’t always get what you want but if you try sometimes you just might find you get what you need”. 

• I'm actually really pleased with where my life is at the moment. I have my hubby, we live in a rural area and both work and run our country farm. Funds are a little tight unfortunately but I'm hoping we'll bounce back before things get too rocky.

Ten years back this is exactly where I wanted to be in my life and I'm so pleased to be here. The future is a little uncertain as country farms like ours are few and far between and generally becoming fewer but I'm hoping that the future will be good for us in that regard and both Matthew and I want to have children too so I'm hoping in the not so distant future there will be the sound of young children on the farm as well.

• I hope you get another

Me too! 

I wonder how different/similar he/she would be compared to the dog Thinking

• Well, I'm 27 and I yet to succeed in work, get a girlfriend and pass my driving test. 10 years ago I was hoping by now I would have all of the above, and possibly kids too.

I'm a bit disappointed that I haven't got to this point yet.

I do however have my health and two loving parents whom I treasure and love very dearly.

I've also got a massive DVD, CD and Pokémon cards collection which I get a lot of enjoyment from each day.

I'm not sure where my life is going from here... Hopefully it will be somewhere good.

• This reminds me of a quote that stuck in my head from the movie “Three Thousand Years of Longing”: “we only exist if we are real to others”.

m.imdb.com/.../

• Like in the book / film Into The Wild: 'Happiness is only real when shared' medium.com/.../happiness-only-real-when-shared-c8d2d0e7afc2

• Life isn't where I hoped it would be by now.

I'm sorry to read this, but I'm a lot older than you, and at your stage in life I wouldn't have expected to be at the content point I am at now.

Life can be quite unexpected, in good ways too.

I wish you all the best in life.

• losing my mum last year was horrific and also the cause of my mental problems surfacing.

Please accept my condolences.

• What do others feel about where they are now, how they got there and where they think they might want to go?

I'm in a good place at the moment. It could be better but it could be worse. The biggest problem I face at the moment is my mental health - my mind scares me.

How I got here was a bumpy road lol.

Looking back I'm not entirely sure how I got through it. My life has had its ups and downs, going through the diagnosis for autism was stressful and losing my mum last year was horrific and also the cause of my mental problems surfacing.

I'm not sure where I want to go...I would like to be more independent, have better mental health.... Meet a nice man and settle down.

For now I'm happy where I am. I do horse riding. Get enjoyment from my hobbies. That's enough for now well I try to balance my mental state.

Interesting thread this. I've enjoyed reading everyone's replies.

• Well, I'm going to see them around Easter

That's rather exciting. 

I envy you.

Unfortunately our cat doesn't like dogs Pouting cat

I hope you get another Dog

• I thought you were getting a sibling of your present dog? Or a relative of some sort?

Well, I'm going to see them around Easter - siblings of the dog. There are 7, a smaller litter than his, he was one of 10, I think.