Puzzling GP conversation…

I (37f) went to see my GP today for a sick line. I am struggling with the demands of work at the moment. I am currently undertaking a private assessment for ASD after years of social difficulties and mental health issues. I asked the Dr while I was there if she would accept a private diagnosis. The (short) conversation ended in her saying if I had held down a job and a relationship I was not autistic. 

This has absolutely baffled me and seems a bit short sighted! I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts?

Parents
  • Get another Gp is my advice. I am undiagnosed, 49 years old, married with 2 children. My youngest son is autistic and I have struggled all my life and don’t know how I managed. My sons therapist said I’m very possibly autistic and I agree (so does my wife) 

how can a Gp possibly say that? I can only assume they know nothing about neurodiversity. 

• Get another Gp is my advice. I am undiagnosed, 49 years old, married with 2 children. My youngest son is autistic and I have struggled all my life and don’t know how I managed. My sons therapist said I’m very possibly autistic and I agree (so does my wife) 

how can a Gp possibly say that? I can only assume they know nothing about neurodiversity. 

Children
No Data