Puzzling GP conversation…

I (37f) went to see my GP today for a sick line. I am struggling with the demands of work at the moment. I am currently undertaking a private assessment for ASD after years of social difficulties and mental health issues. I asked the Dr while I was there if she would accept a private diagnosis. The (short) conversation ended in her saying if I had held down a job and a relationship I was not autistic. 

This has absolutely baffled me and seems a bit short sighted! I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts?

Parents
  • i kinda expect that.

they should look for historic issues in it rather than a end product... as a older autistic person may have sorted their life out in the very long time it takes for these guys to see them...

me for example, i lived with my parents up to my 30s, no relationships, friends, jobs or anything... so id pass.... but i was never diagnosed, i was wanting to fix my life and do something about it in a spurt of motivation and thats when i asked to be helped or diagnosed and got on the list, but in the long wait time i found a way to help myself, i got myself big money from investments, and a job, and got my own place and moved out of my parents.... the asking for diagnosis was just the start of me changing my life and trying to get help, they failed to provide help on time and i managed to somehow luck myself into a life which now they would judge to not be autistic due to holding a job and having a home... although no relationships, that i cant figure out how to even start lol 

but yeah, if they ignored the current situation, and looked at the whole picture, they wouldnt discard your case for your current instance of having your life together because you may not have had it together for the majority of your life and you may well have been far behind everyone else for all they know. its a inability for them to see the larger picture of your life. or see historically.

• i kinda expect that.

they should look for historic issues in it rather than a end product... as a older autistic person may have sorted their life out in the very long time it takes for these guys to see them...

me for example, i lived with my parents up to my 30s, no relationships, friends, jobs or anything... so id pass.... but i was never diagnosed, i was wanting to fix my life and do something about it in a spurt of motivation and thats when i asked to be helped or diagnosed and got on the list, but in the long wait time i found a way to help myself, i got myself big money from investments, and a job, and got my own place and moved out of my parents.... the asking for diagnosis was just the start of me changing my life and trying to get help, they failed to provide help on time and i managed to somehow luck myself into a life which now they would judge to not be autistic due to holding a job and having a home... although no relationships, that i cant figure out how to even start lol 

but yeah, if they ignored the current situation, and looked at the whole picture, they wouldnt discard your case for your current instance of having your life together because you may not have had it together for the majority of your life and you may well have been far behind everyone else for all they know. its a inability for them to see the larger picture of your life. or see historically.

Children
No Data