Puzzling GP conversation…

I (37f) went to see my GP today for a sick line. I am struggling with the demands of work at the moment. I am currently undertaking a private assessment for ASD after years of social difficulties and mental health issues. I asked the Dr while I was there if she would accept a private diagnosis. The (short) conversation ended in her saying if I had held down a job and a relationship I was not autistic. 

This has absolutely baffled me and seems a bit short sighted! I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts?

Parents
  • Many GP are uninterested in, and quite misinformed about mental health. You just met one of them. 

It seems like there are two opposite schools of thought: some people believe that all ASD are people that cannot leave their house, take a shower, or keep a job. Some people think that every ASD is a Maths or Computer Science genius with several PhDs. Both ideas are false.

• Many GP are uninterested in, and quite misinformed about mental health. You just met one of them. 

It seems like there are two opposite schools of thought: some people believe that all ASD are people that cannot leave their house, take a shower, or keep a job. Some people think that every ASD is a Maths or Computer Science genius with several PhDs. Both ideas are false.

Children