Puzzling GP conversation…

I (37f) went to see my GP today for a sick line. I am struggling with the demands of work at the moment. I am currently undertaking a private assessment for ASD after years of social difficulties and mental health issues. I asked the Dr while I was there if she would accept a private diagnosis. The (short) conversation ended in her saying if I had held down a job and a relationship I was not autistic. 

This has absolutely baffled me and seems a bit short sighted! I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts?

Parents
  • Having worked with and educated people with medical degrees, I know only too well that possession of medical qualifications does not render them immune from either stupidity or ignorance, even concerning medical matters.

• Thank you for your reply. It’s so disappointing to hear this and was a very hard thing to listen to from a GP. It also doesn’t fill me with confidence for a potential diagnosis being taken seriously.

• If you have any problem with acceptance of a privately funded diagnosis, refer your GP to the official NICE guidelines, where the criteria for adult autism diagnosis are stated. The guidelines merely say that the clinician or clinicians making the diagnosis need to be appropriately qualified. Nowhere does it mention anything about the origins of the funds used to pay for the assessment, or a requirement for it to be done by or through the NHS.

• If you have any problem with acceptance of a privately funded diagnosis, refer your GP to the official NICE guidelines, where the criteria for adult autism diagnosis are stated. The guidelines merely say that the clinician or clinicians making the diagnosis need to be appropriately qualified. Nowhere does it mention anything about the origins of the funds used to pay for the assessment, or a requirement for it to be done by or through the NHS.

Children