Puzzling GP conversation…

I (37f) went to see my GP today for a sick line. I am struggling with the demands of work at the moment. I am currently undertaking a private assessment for ASD after years of social difficulties and mental health issues. I asked the Dr while I was there if she would accept a private diagnosis. The (short) conversation ended in her saying if I had held down a job and a relationship I was not autistic. 

This has absolutely baffled me and seems a bit short sighted! I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts?

Parents
  • Hi, this is nothing more than another example of a GP who knows nothing about autism 'diagnosing'.  
    it seems part of the task for any autistic person when dealing with GPs (or anyone really), is to educate them about autism first.  It may be worth sending a polite email to you GP explaining that being in a relationship or holding down a job are not diagnostic criteria for autism.   Perhaps you could include the criteria as listed in the DSM-V and a few notes for each on how they apply to you?  There are great youtube videos explaining the criteria if that helps.

• Thank you for your reply. It is reassuring to hear that I am not the only one disheartened by this statement!

Reply Children