Preparing for PIP assessment - What to expect/traps?

At the start of this year I decided to take the step to apply for PIP, my research kept telling me there's a slim chance of success first time around so I'm mentally preparing myself for rejection and appeal anyway. Regardless, I still want to give myself the best possible shot by being clear, honest and hopefully not miscommunicating myself too much as being able to do things I cannot. This is the one thing I'm having a lot of trouble preparing for both mentally and practically, the assessment. Citizens Advice have been helping me with the application and the phone call I had with them to go through the form was difficult and draining enough and that's with someone who was doing their best to try and help me and gave me helpfully leading questions to get important information out of my which I likely wouldn't have thought to (or had the confidence to) mention without those leading questions. I actually feel some guilt over being so stressed because thinking back the guy who went through the form with me was really kind and helpful. The thing is, I can easily fall into leading questions and I do worry that the assessor who, unlike CAB, is not rearly there to help or guide me and is likely trying to trip me up and try and make me say enough wrong to where I don't appear to score a single point. I guess I'm just looking to understand what exactly I'm to expect, what common traps they may lay I should be aware of, any common trick questions that I can/should refuse etc. because I feel like I'll answer anything, and I might not be willing to add additional information beyond a 'yes' to one of their trap questions.

Parents
  • I was told that I had DLA for life until PIP came along. The assessment day had a phone call saying it was cancelled due to assessors being unwell. Explained to the receptionist that I couldn't take days off at short notice. Explained that the appointment are random. Lucky found me an appointment next day in the afternoon. Turned up, saw cctv cameras (some claimed that they couldn't walk); the assessor was behind writing notes in a previous session. Kept on asking what sort of house live in and education etc.

Scored zero points and the assessment form had words didn't understand or not completed. They're no experts in autism. Decided to do the mandatory Reconsideration and came back zero points. Thought was approaching Christmas and decided not to take it any further.

Felt absolutely sick the way the government treating the disabled. DWP will usually start to review your claim one year before your award ends. When the DWP reviews your claim, they send you a letter with a renewal form. Glad that I didn't take it further. Celebrities have the same problem as they need mobility cars and carers etc.

Ended up leaving after 11 years, which was handled badly. I was having dark thoughts due to this and unwell. 

• Are you surprised.  The system is setup and designed to fail us.  If you show any sort of weakness they will stamp your face in the mud at the first possibility.

Getting PIP is very hit and miss.  I hate to say go with the act, but you really don't get anything by being nice in this day and age.

• Are you surprised.  The system is setup and designed to fail us.  If you show any sort of weakness they will stamp your face in the mud at the first possibility.

Getting PIP is very hit and miss.  I hate to say go with the act, but you really don't get anything by being nice in this day and age.

Children
No Data