My housing solution

Clearly the UK needs a lot more housing as the prices are unaffordable for most people. I would build lots of high rise apartments but with an aim of making them a lot more liveable than ones that were built in the past.

I would have them have landscaped gardens and almost zero tolerance for vandalism or urinating in the elevators. 

They could have triple glazing installed, solar panels on the roof, something on the roof collecting rainwater to use for water.

I would have them painted a cheerful colour, no gray. Maybe a nice pattern. 

The design would be practical but not ugly. Not just a tall box like some of them are. Some attractive features like how Victorian buildings had, little features to "dress up" the building, so to speak.

Realistically I think soon we are going to see lots of new housing estates of identical houses with tiny gardens spiralling out in ugly out of nowhere suburbia.

Parents
  • i dunno id think private gardens for the residents on the roof, like a chill out roof garden area.

but yeah towns and cities need to do high rise flats more... we dont have enough land to spam single houses over a large area. we are a tiny island with not enough farms to support our population as it is. so we need more efficient high rise buildings.

• You really, really do not want to live in a high rise flat. It takes just a deranged or chavy resident to make life hell for everyone, and evicting a resident is difficult. High rises are also noisy, crowded and expensive to live in: an high rise needs an elevator, A/C and a good centralized heating, otherwise it will be unliveable. Plumbing and electrical work is also way more expensive. Believe me, you do not want to live in there.

• You really, really do not want to live in a high rise flat. It takes just a deranged or chavy resident to make life hell for everyone, and evicting a resident is difficult. High rises are also noisy, crowded and expensive to live in: an high rise needs an elevator, A/C and a good centralized heating, otherwise it will be unliveable. Plumbing and electrical work is also way more expensive. Believe me, you do not want to live in there.

Children
  • As far as I understand far fewer hi rise flats were sold with right to buy.  Yes some places have more of a chance of rough residents causing trouble. Not sure how often though. I know of someone who lives within a high rise estate who finds it ok. Also an artist who lives in one who thinks things have improved. 

However I also know of an Autistic person living in a non hi rise Social Housing flat who left for a while due to what they said was harassment from another Autistic.

I would prefer low rise flats but I also feel that the problem has got so critical should we be open to all types of solutions.  Especially since homes are a basic human need. 

To me what has happened in London which has also had an effect on the rest of the country should be called property extremism.

• This is how council houses were supposed to work, but then the councils were forced to sell and we know the results. It did not work once, I have no reason to think that it will work this time.

• maybe, but it makes for good low cost accomodation.

a start, better than nothing.... you then earn your way up to upgrading to a detached or whatever. but we all start at the bottom, to get better we have to start at the bottom and work up.

a high rise flat they could put it aside as cheap ownership for new owners and they can make sure no one buys them to rent them. make them purpose built for first time buyers to buy cheap and own. no rental exploitation allowed on them, bam, you fixed a big housing market issue with it. at least then everyone will be able to own their own bare minimum flat that if they want better than they can work for and fight for in the highly competitive market later on.