Joining clubs, classes and groups

My therapist has repeatedly encouraged me to join some kind of club or a meetup group or do a class to get me out of the house and meet people, maybe even make some friends.

I see the point and there are classes I would find interesting, but the thought of going to one of these by myself is just too daunting. I find it difficult not to assume people tend to join these things with a friend and I don’t want to be the weird guy on his own.

Have any of you gone to these things by yourself? Do people really do that?

Parents
  • Hello.

I've attended a lot of classes and groups on my own and it was such a fun experience even though I was petrified at first. It's something that gets easier the more you do it. That was my experience, I found I got more comfortable each time I did it.

But if you would rather go with someone else then that's fine. Lots of people do that and it's nothing to be ashamed of. Whatever works best for you is what you should do.

I go to classes and groups with my husband a lot of the time. Last year before he got sick we were attending a drama group lol at which we were both terrible but it's something he always wanted to do so hey ho.

Do what you want and feel comfortable with and if it doesn't work out you can always try again later on.

• Thanks Cathy. I don’t have anyone to go with. That’s why I need to do something like this - to meet people.

But thanks, you’ve all reassured me that people really do go to these things alone.

• you’ve all reassured me that people really do go to these things alone

Merry Christmas.

That's good to hear.

Incidentally, my husband goes to loads of things alone because I'm not keen on going.

This includes frequently seeing bands live and also doing various arts and crafts classes.

He is however NT and an extrovert, which I know helps.

Reply Children
No Data