My dad and grandmother - is it possible they had autism even though they were diagnosed with a learning disability

my dad had a learning disability which was diagnosed. He passed away at  the age of 57. His two brothers have epilepsy, one of them even told me he thinks he has autism but never sought the diagnosis because he feels like he "wants to get jobs on his own merits". He doesn't want support.

Anyway, my dads mum also had a diagnosed learning disability.

I have a strong feeling they had autism event though it wasn't diagnosed.

Parents
  • I have a strong feeling they had autism event though it wasn't diagnosed

I find myself doing the same as you do.

With the strong genetic basis, it's inevitable that we will spend time wondering whether members of our family are/were autistic.

I think my mum was but then when I go over all the various things she did and said that were 'different' it's possible she wasn't or just had other mental conditions alongside autism.

My dad was very quiet and submissive and really my mum suppressed his personality so it's hard to tell if possibly I actually inherited the autism from his side of the family.

I do believe other members of my family who are still living are autistic and one of them agrees, another (a child) is in the process of diagnosis.

• I have a strong feeling they had autism event though it wasn't diagnosed

I find myself doing the same as you do.

With the strong genetic basis, it's inevitable that we will spend time wondering whether members of our family are/were autistic.

I think my mum was but then when I go over all the various things she did and said that were 'different' it's possible she wasn't or just had other mental conditions alongside autism.

My dad was very quiet and submissive and really my mum suppressed his personality so it's hard to tell if possibly I actually inherited the autism from his side of the family.

I do believe other members of my family who are still living are autistic and one of them agrees, another (a child) is in the process of diagnosis.

Children
No Data