No Friends

Hello,

It is quite late but I cannot sleep at this time. I have always liked to be on my own most of the time but sometimes I feel a bit lonely. So, as of now, I have literally no friends (both online and in person) and I feel like I am upset by this. However, I have found it hard to interest other people and keep friends that I have made in the past as I am not good at communication and not talkative enough. This has been a life long issue for me. I never really had friends but wanted to have some.

I now feel lonely and would like to discuss things I am interested with, with other people and thought maybe those who have difficulties with communication will be more understanding. So, maybe I can meet people on here or maybe be informed about autistic groups in London area if there are any. I am quite nervous about speaking to people online hence not doing this before but it was suggested that I give it a go.

Thank you

Jai (Nickname)

Parents
  • Damn, I relate a lot to both this post and its replies. I think it's very safe to say that you're not alone here. 

I have no clue how one makes friends in this day and age as an adult, and that can be really frustrating. Even if autism wasn't a factor, it's not like one can go up to random people and ask them to be friends, eh? haha

If you, or anyone else reading this ever wants to just talk about anything in PMs, I'll be happy to as I'm also struggling a lot with loneliness and, even if we don't end up becoming friends, it'll be nice to stimulate the social part of my brain to avoid cobwebs forming there once in a while haha. Of course there's no pressure either, as I know how scary it can be to message people one doesn't know. 

• I liked your message. Honestly, I think it really is that simple. At least in my case I tend to overthink everything and can't get my mind to switch off but it probably is as simple as going up to people and asking to be friends. Not random people, maybe try going to places that you like or doing something that you might enjoy and try to strike up a conversation.

• Hmm, maybe this is why people drink alcohol at social events? So that they can get the courage to just go up to people around them and say "hi" without overthinking? Hopefully someday I'll be able to do that... the saying "hi" part, not the alcohol haha 

• I have realised that drinking alcohol is not common in people on the spectrum. Even those who are higher functioning. I know why I don’t but I wonder about some of the different reasons why people with ASD don’t too. Jai 

• I have realised that drinking alcohol is not common in people on the spectrum. Even those who are higher functioning. I know why I don’t but I wonder about some of the different reasons why people with ASD don’t too. Jai 

Children
No Data