I’m not lazy

I’ve had a good career at work, done well. But at the end of 2020 I crashed. Massive burnout. I’ve had a few extended absences since then because there were times when even showering in the morning used up all my spoons.

I’ve managed to do ten months now without an absence of more than a few days but every day is still a struggle and I always run out of energy.

I know the people who’ve known me for years must be wondering why I get so much less done now and the people that have joined the company more recently must think I’m just lazy. But they have no idea how much effort it takes just for me to get through the day.

Does it ever get better? Do people actually recover from burnout?

And how have you managed peoples’ perceptions of your lack of energy?

Parents
  • And how have you managed peoples’ perceptions of your lack of energy?

When i was able to work i didn't manage them.  I took work as being a 6-10 week affair that put money in my bank account.  After that I moved to a different contract.  Most times I wouldn't make it to 10 weeks as I would have either been fired or let go with some BS excuse.  Not all was related to ASD, some was due to other health problems.

Does it ever get better?

The honest answer is no, it never gets better, you just learn to battle it more efficiently.  Burnout happens and your choices are to carry on with the cycle or get off the hamster wheel and find a career/job that is less burnout prone.

As to energy, try Monster Silver.  I am a Monster junkie, but for whatever reason, when I have a can I don't so much get energy, but precision of thought and calmness of mind.  It also affords me the ability to deal with BS working conditions and boring jobs, at least for a while.

Beyond that medication is your best bet.  Something that can numb you to the grind.  My ASD friend liked Prozac.  Said it made life bearable, but he seemed to almost take heroic amounts of it.  Maybe ask your doctor to try anti-depressants.

• And how have you managed peoples’ perceptions of your lack of energy?

When i was able to work i didn't manage them.  I took work as being a 6-10 week affair that put money in my bank account.  After that I moved to a different contract.  Most times I wouldn't make it to 10 weeks as I would have either been fired or let go with some BS excuse.  Not all was related to ASD, some was due to other health problems.

Does it ever get better?

The honest answer is no, it never gets better, you just learn to battle it more efficiently.  Burnout happens and your choices are to carry on with the cycle or get off the hamster wheel and find a career/job that is less burnout prone.

As to energy, try Monster Silver.  I am a Monster junkie, but for whatever reason, when I have a can I don't so much get energy, but precision of thought and calmness of mind.  It also affords me the ability to deal with BS working conditions and boring jobs, at least for a while.

Beyond that medication is your best bet.  Something that can numb you to the grind.  My ASD friend liked Prozac.  Said it made life bearable, but he seemed to almost take heroic amounts of it.  Maybe ask your doctor to try anti-depressants.

Children