Is it possible to go in for an autism assessment and come out with an ADHD diagnosis

Or will I need a separate referral for this ?

Parents
  • Here's what I've found from a great deal of personal research over the last several years (including philosophical and psychoanalytical study that lead up to it)

ADHD and Autism share a few experiences / ways of perceiving and understanding life. 

1. Montropotic Thinking (a sense of Everything-all-at-once, the ability to hyper-focus and other things which involve a sort of 'higher thinking' and Gamma flow-state. See montropism.org 

2. Sense-Perception. A difference in filtering and signalling how the brain is 'wired'. These can be responsible for anxiety and can affect amygdala function (trauma). Many recent studies have shown lower levels of GABA in Autistic and ADHD individuals, which are not only responsible for inhibiting and regulating in brain function but also for gut-health. This doesn't mean one can automatically change allergies, as we're still more immediately sensitive to many unnatural chemicals, and potentially unnatural modifications in the food-source, where someone who can desensitise might suffer the consequences much later in life and all at once. BUT, I have found anti-depressants will further Lower GABA. But also -coupled with dietary things which might aid the body's ability to produce it - occasional anti-anxiety medication (as an adult) will really help. Occasional like once a month or every other month or when it's 4am and I'm not sleeping because a melodic loop is stuck in my head :) 

3. Executive Function and a different experience of Time. We can get stuck in a sense of eternal (Aion) or being easily lost in the moment (Kairos), rather than the Left Hemisphere command of chronology (Chronos).

Differences:

From what I've learned, ADHD'rs tend to be able to "speak both Autistic and NeuroTypical", so my ADHD friends, who might feel like they can understand NTs but still don't fit in due to differences, don't have to Camouflage around me :) We easily accept each other's intensities. And my ADHD friends can help me better interpret NT socio-linguistics. x

• From what I've learned, ADHD'rs tend to be able to "speak both Autistic and NeuroTypical", so my ADHD friends, who might feel like they can understand NTs but still don't fit in due to differences, don't have to Camouflage around me :) We easily accept each other's intensities. And my ADHD friends can help me better interpret NT socio-linguistics.

You know I always wondered about this.  I had NT friends at school and ND friends, but existed in both groups without issue.  I am (late) diagnosed with ASD, but am pretty sure I fall into the ADHD group as well, if not more than the ASD group.  Also lack of concentration and focus is the real killer in my life.

And yes, I am awaiting assessment for ADHD.

• From what I've learned, ADHD'rs tend to be able to "speak both Autistic and NeuroTypical", so my ADHD friends, who might feel like they can understand NTs but still don't fit in due to differences, don't have to Camouflage around me :) We easily accept each other's intensities. And my ADHD friends can help me better interpret NT socio-linguistics.

You know I always wondered about this.  I had NT friends at school and ND friends, but existed in both groups without issue.  I am (late) diagnosed with ASD, but am pretty sure I fall into the ADHD group as well, if not more than the ASD group.  Also lack of concentration and focus is the real killer in my life.

And yes, I am awaiting assessment for ADHD.

Children
No Data