Declined an assessment...

Hey guys!

I find myself here again looking for advice.

I was referred for an Ausmtism assessment back in July, was sent some forms in August... and finally heard back a few days ago saying that, although I'm "clearly struggling in some areas, [they] don't think I need an assessment at this time." Despite having sent a whole other document full of traits, that I feel point towards me being Autistic, as I couldn't fit everything on the form. Apparently my form didn't show *enough* traits...

I feel quite downhearted, and like I've been completely dismissed. I've don't a lot of reading up about Autism over this year, and I don't think I'm wrong in this.. too much of my life experiences now make sense under this lens for me to want to just let it go...

I have put in for a 2nd opinion, but my appointment isn't until mid January...

I've never had to do this before...

And I'm worried that it'll just get me nowhere again, though I'm gonna keep trying... the message my doctor sent when suggesting a 2nd opinion said about maybe looking privately... would they refer me for such for free, or do I have to pay in that case?

Has anyone else been through similar?

What did you do in the end?

Parents
  • I'm sorry you're going through this.  There is a diagnostic crisis in this country at the moment and wait times are horrendous.  It might be that your local service is trying to tend to only those it sees as most urgent and most likely on the forms to be autistic.

You could try writing to them again and asking them whether they had considered any points you feel they've left out.

I would contact your GP for clarification of what he meant.  Most probably he is suggesting you go private.  He could write a supporting letter for this, although most people self-refer.  That's what I did.

It's awful really.  This is putting you under stress because the system is under stress.  

• Yeah, that did cross my mind...

I know they're very very busy, and overworked... they need more funding and staff/help that they have.

But I also just feel its unfair to dismiss people who very much could be. Surely it's better to assess and offer help, than let someone hit burnout levels, and possibly require even more aid, benefits, etc. Before they get assessed/help.. 

Yeah, I'll try and remember to ask about that when my appointment rolls around.

I'll also reach out and ask the gateway I was referred to why I was dismissed.

• Yeah, that did cross my mind...

I know they're very very busy, and overworked... they need more funding and staff/help that they have.

But I also just feel its unfair to dismiss people who very much could be. Surely it's better to assess and offer help, than let someone hit burnout levels, and possibly require even more aid, benefits, etc. Before they get assessed/help.. 

Yeah, I'll try and remember to ask about that when my appointment rolls around.

I'll also reach out and ask the gateway I was referred to why I was dismissed.

Children
No Data