Antidepressants

I struggle with Crohn's disease & IBS symptoms. When I'm depressed, which occurs in the winter months every year, my symptoms are much worse.

I read a book by Temple Grandin where she said she stopped her colitis flare ups with a low dose antidepressant.

Just wondering, have any of you found the same thing? I'm considering it

Parents
  • Do anti inflammatory medications not help your crohns? I doubt antidepressants would work better for your crohns than anti inflammatory meds which are designed to treat conditions like crohns. I take antidepressants at a medium dose they do help moderately with mood and cognition however they are far from having any major impact on me. They may help you though but the thing with antidepressants is that they can be quite subtle it may not seem like they are doing anything at all.

• Some types of antidepressants are also used at a lower dose as medication for chronic pain. I imagine that's probably how they would be used for Crohn's- I'm taking them myself for endometriosis and they seem fairly effective.

Reply Children
  • Pleased they are helping you, so tough to live with these conditions. I'm using CBD oil through the Saffire clinic and it has brought my Crohn's into remission so I would recommend it to you for sure.

I just want to stop the panic spikes that seem to trigger flares