Traditional / Old Fashioned Thinking

As an older person with Autism, I was brought up in very different times with different thinking, values, acceptance, behaviour, etc (1970's & 80's).

The World has changed so much since then - both for better and worse.
There have been so many advancements - particularly in science and this has benefitted us ASD'ers immensely.

One thing that is troubling me is that I hold a lot of "principles" that in this day and age would be considered "Old Fashioned", "Traditional", maybe even "Bigotry" or worse.
There are things that I struggle to understand or accept which are based on my traditional attitude. I was brought up in an era when....

• Boys had girlfriends and girls has boyfriends
  • You were born a boy and died a man
  • Men married women
  • Humour was not censored
  • People weren't "cancelled"

I openly discuss or rant about these topics along with some others that may be considered taboo with closed friends and family who have all become somewhat numb to my outrageousness / inappropriateness.

I have however managed to "behave" in public (stayed on the right side of the law), but occasionally do mutter things with a level of cowardice.
My concern is that now that I am officially autistic, the shackles of having to mask may have been broken and that has the potential of me saying the wrong thing at the wrong time.

Parents
  • This isn't an autistic thing. There have been situations where I've tried to make jokes by copying other people's humour and they've fallen flat, or said something and then been surprised by how it's interpreted, so I get that can happen, and it's always a huge shock when it does, because you thought you'd correctly interpreted the way the NTs were communicating and then it turns out you misread it completely (story of an autistic life). But it sounds like you know in advance that people won't like the specific things you are saying, and then you decide to say them anyway. That's not autism, it's just being obnoxious.

• no your misunderstanding the thread again, thats not autistic trait itself as he states awareness of it being inappropriate thats true.... but that is a generation gap and a change in ethics over generations. although it could still be autistic in a way though as autism is related to upbringing and this generational ideas and ethics are based on your upbringing so this could be up for debate too to be honest

the future generations will think your ideas are evil and unethical... but you will still hold them because you was brought up with them being ethical... i believe thats more what this guy was on about. but yeah thats normal generation gap thing and time leaving behind older gens behind... you cant just wave a magic wand and thanos snap a persons upbringing and change it to suit yours.... and that upbringing shapes a person.

he was aware of his ideas being not ethical by todays standards, i believe the convo was more meant to be about that, about the generation thing, the change in ethics. how its impossible to superimpose new generation ethics on old generation when they have been raised and taught differently...

i personally dont see a issue with discussing this type of thing as it raises awareness and understanding between generations.... the younger gens getting upset and shutting this down just shows the younger gens are less tolerant than the older gens values anyway lol ....which is true, i like older people better because they are more patient with me.... all the abuse i ever got was off people my age. younger generations they have no chill and always want to bully and dogpile someone. older gens they are patient with people and more considerate and tolerant despite their views being old fashioned and unethical now.. that tolerance they have allows them to get along with newer gens who have these different views... while you newer gens attack the old gens for their views, while the old gens just try to comprehend that and still politely speak to you about it 

already i believe theres a ethical switch as theres many tell tale signs of a new switch that doesnt favour the one you currently are of, this generation that screams in peoples faces and takes offence... i believe that generation is over and a new generation of youth is here that thinks that is immoral and unethical so i believe your ideas are about to be outdated soon too anyway just like the ops so its worth a talk on as we all get there and face this

• no your misunderstanding the thread again, thats not autistic trait itself as he states awareness of it being inappropriate thats true.... but that is a generation gap and a change in ethics over generations. although it could still be autistic in a way though as autism is related to upbringing and this generational ideas and ethics are based on your upbringing so this could be up for debate too to be honest

the future generations will think your ideas are evil and unethical... but you will still hold them because you was brought up with them being ethical... i believe thats more what this guy was on about. but yeah thats normal generation gap thing and time leaving behind older gens behind... you cant just wave a magic wand and thanos snap a persons upbringing and change it to suit yours.... and that upbringing shapes a person.

he was aware of his ideas being not ethical by todays standards, i believe the convo was more meant to be about that, about the generation thing, the change in ethics. how its impossible to superimpose new generation ethics on old generation when they have been raised and taught differently...

i personally dont see a issue with discussing this type of thing as it raises awareness and understanding between generations.... the younger gens getting upset and shutting this down just shows the younger gens are less tolerant than the older gens values anyway lol ....which is true, i like older people better because they are more patient with me.... all the abuse i ever got was off people my age. younger generations they have no chill and always want to bully and dogpile someone. older gens they are patient with people and more considerate and tolerant despite their views being old fashioned and unethical now.. that tolerance they have allows them to get along with newer gens who have these different views... while you newer gens attack the old gens for their views, while the old gens just try to comprehend that and still politely speak to you about it 

already i believe theres a ethical switch as theres many tell tale signs of a new switch that doesnt favour the one you currently are of, this generation that screams in peoples faces and takes offence... i believe that generation is over and a new generation of youth is here that thinks that is immoral and unethical so i believe your ideas are about to be outdated soon too anyway just like the ops so its worth a talk on as we all get there and face this

Children
No Data