My grandsons behaviour is it autism

Hi I need advice from any expert my grandson is 3 and since being very young has shown signs of autism, he has speech delay he can talk better now but still not clear my daughter is having trouble getting him diagnosed  he doesn’t respond to his name a lot of the time especially if in a shop he won’t walk with you he’s very hyperactive he will not let the hairdresser or us cut his hair he screams so bad , he poo smears on the walls/floors and furniture surly this isn’t right , my daughter has got the NHS assessment but all they did is watch him play with toys in the office that obviously he’s going to like because they different to his toys and that was for Half hour then three visits to his nursery half hour sessions and again that’s his regular place so he’s fine there so the assistant doesn’t see anything wrong with him they don’t get to see what we do they just think he needs attention but that’s rubbish he gets plenty they are making excuses I think . I need advice does this sound like autism to other people x

Parents
  • I think it could be autism. Some things may just be because he is young. If he ends up not getting an asd diagnosis, here are some other diagnoses listed in the DSM 5 that are sometimes mistaken for autism if youre interested to research them. 

Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, Intellectual developmental disorder (intellectual disability) without autism spectrum disorder, Language disorders and social (pragmatic) communication disorder, Selective mutism, Stereotypic movement disorder, Rett syndrome, Symptoms associated with anxiety disorders, Obsessive-compulsive disorder, Schizophrenia, Personality disorders. 

I dont think all of those differential diagnoses sound like they could be related to your grandson but I thought Id list them all anyway.

Id also like to say whether or not he has autism, if you find that making certain adjustments to his life would help, then I think it wouldnt matter if he got an official diagnosis. 

• I think it could be autism. Some things may just be because he is young. If he ends up not getting an asd diagnosis, here are some other diagnoses listed in the DSM 5 that are sometimes mistaken for autism if youre interested to research them. 

Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, Intellectual developmental disorder (intellectual disability) without autism spectrum disorder, Language disorders and social (pragmatic) communication disorder, Selective mutism, Stereotypic movement disorder, Rett syndrome, Symptoms associated with anxiety disorders, Obsessive-compulsive disorder, Schizophrenia, Personality disorders. 

I dont think all of those differential diagnoses sound like they could be related to your grandson but I thought Id list them all anyway.

Id also like to say whether or not he has autism, if you find that making certain adjustments to his life would help, then I think it wouldnt matter if he got an official diagnosis. 

Children
No Data