Masking, or....?

Hello folks :) 

I am part of a separate autism friendly group (on WhatsApp and Zoom) and recently we have been talking about masking but I am a bit too shy to say that....I don't really understand.

Like - am I supposed to be able to tell if I'm masking and if I'm not? The group organiser said some people just simply don't mask, so maybe I am one of those? I am very newly diagnosed so I'm still trying to get my head around all the terms and facts and stuff. 

Like, I can tell sometimes I am forcing eye contact or forcing a laugh or something, especially with new people, but with people like close family I feel just like I am kind of myself with - so I don't understand where the lines are?

Can anyone explain how they view masking - then maybe I can relate?

Thank you in advance for reading and/or replying. 

Parents
  • I also have a hard time relating to what's often said about masking. Like I'm sure my life would've been more exhausting but also more bearable if I'd been able to pass as a "normal" person at school and wherever, but I wouldn't even know where to start.

Aside from trying to be slightly more enthusiastic or outgoing in a few situations, I couldn't mask with any effectiveness any more than I could pick up a car. 

• I get you Tris.
    It is one big mental maze with no exit.

Reply Children
No Data