Autistic Burnout... how do you cope?

Hi everyone!

I want to talk about Autistic Burnout. I have been dealing with Autistic Burnout at different stages of my life, but I've hit a dead end with it and I think advice from others that have had a similar expereince could help me to better regulate my emotions.

I work full-time 42 hours a week. The only way I can earn enough to pay for my home, my car, my family, etc, is through full-time work. As an adult with responsibilities, I can't just "switch off" when I come home, there are chores to do, meals to cook, the dog to walk (FYI I love my dog, its just after an exhausting day of work I sometimes just have no energy). Its become so much that I've been off work for nearly a week on sick leave just so I don't completely lose my marbles (thanks brain).

I can't keep doing this otherwise I'm going to lose my job, which will affect all that I've listed above. 

I've been to my doctor and I'm now on medication for anxiety and depression. Hopefully this will help me through my anxious and depressed times. However, I know full well that medication isn't the fix to my autistic burnout. I've been in touch with a number of autism charities in my local area and have appointments booked with them, so I'm making a start, but I would like to know how any of you copes with autism burnout.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I know its long winded, but I feel talking to others that go through the same "turbulence" may help myself and others to understand themselves more. Thanks again!

Parents
  • There is an important distinction between autistic fatigue and autistic burnout. Ongoing and prolonged autistic fatigue will eventually lead to burnout.

https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/mental-health/autistic-fatigue/autistic-adults

https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/professional-practice/autistic-burnout

the long hours of constant masking and unpredictability is really wearing me out.

Masking is not good for us and is one of the key risk factors for burnout. Do whatever you need to to keep masking to a minimum. Consider if you can get reasonable adjustments in your job, reduce hours, working from home, extra support, etc

I've been through burnout cycles in the past. You tell yourself that you need to keep going, that you have no choice, that losing your job would be the worst outcome. However there comes a point where you are simply not capable of keeping going. Your body will decide for you.

Heed the warning signs. You may think that a break, a holiday, a few weeks signed off sick may be all it takes to recover. It isn't if you just put yourself back in the same situation that resulted in the mini burnout in the first place. It's so important to work out what caused it and make changes to prevent the cycle reoccurring. Each successive cycle will become progressively harder to come back from.

Once a severe burnout hits it can affect your ability to do even the simplest things in life, that you would usually have no problem with at all. Your ability to function, both physically and mentally, will make work impossible.

Severe burnout can take a long time to recover from and you may never fully recover. It can lead to permanent regression of skills.

• Thank you for your message.

Unfortunately in my case my whole job is front facing sales, which requires me to be professional at all times, e.g. masking. I enjoy helping people find what they are looking for, but I feel its gotten to a point where I can't keep up the charade anymore.

I'm getting more and more tired, and I've been getting more and more irritable at home because I have more stuff to do once I get home, which is awful for my wife to have to deal with constantly when she has her own mental health issues.

Its just a vicious cycle. This is why I've been in touch with local autism charities to seek further advice.

Thanks again for messaging!

• Thank you for your message.

Unfortunately in my case my whole job is front facing sales, which requires me to be professional at all times, e.g. masking. I enjoy helping people find what they are looking for, but I feel its gotten to a point where I can't keep up the charade anymore.

I'm getting more and more tired, and I've been getting more and more irritable at home because I have more stuff to do once I get home, which is awful for my wife to have to deal with constantly when she has her own mental health issues.

Its just a vicious cycle. This is why I've been in touch with local autism charities to seek further advice.

Thanks again for messaging!

Children
No Data