Temple Grandin

I know she is a well known autistic figure, but I just wanted to mention the film. I saw it yesterday and was both impressed and disturbed by it.

I thought Claire Danes' performance was very good and a good impression of Temple (I've watched her TED talks).

I also read that she started taking a low does antidepressant in her 30s which helped her anxiety & panic attacks, but interestingly (I have IBD) it cured her colitis.

I thought that worth mentioning for autistics like me who also have colitis

Have you seen the film? What else have you read from Temple that has helped you?

Parents
  • I have read 'The Autistic Brain' by Temple Grandin. While it had some good neuroscience I thought it too 'American' - in being overly aspirational - and it had rather too much of a focus on Grandin's flavour of autism, concentrating on her particular traits and abilities, many of which I do not share.

• I have read 'The Autistic Brain' by Temple Grandin. While it had some good neuroscience I thought it too 'American' - in being overly aspirational - and it had rather too much of a focus on Grandin's flavour of autism, concentrating on her particular traits and abilities, many of which I do not share.

Children
  • Fairvenough. She is from a very American culture (ranches etc,) but I take your point.

I felt the film, also very American in storyline, illustrated the visual thinking I experience very well