Arguments on the forum

I don't know about others, but I'm getting a little concerned that the arguments will put off new members.

Quite often people join and then disappear quite quickly.

I've been involved in these myself on occasion, so I'm not innocent.

However, maybe the mods could create a section where these potentially contentious threads could be placed that had a heading like NSFW (a new one on me but it seems to be well known).

If a seemingly innocuous thread then turns into a constant argument, perhaps it could be moved to there.

It's sometimes interraction between older males and older females (or non binary etc) and comes down to very different relationship/*ex points of view but can of course stem from any subject and any set of contributors.

I think it happens more often than it once did, and I've not been here a year yet.

Parents Reply Children
  • Nail hit, squarely on its head.

I am a big fan of reasoned argument in discursive format.....but I very quickly learned that 'this place' was not 'the place' for it.  That was a surprise to me (to be honest)...but not a deal breaker to me.  The commonalities that the vast majority here do all share, outweigh the limitations and risks of the format.....in my opinion.

• It can be hostile to people who expect reasoned argument to be replied to in similarly reasoned way, or failing this, at least in a civil manner. This is not aimed at you, it is a more general observation.