Arguments on the forum

I don't know about others, but I'm getting a little concerned that the arguments will put off new members.

Quite often people join and then disappear quite quickly.

I've been involved in these myself on occasion, so I'm not innocent.

However, maybe the mods could create a section where these potentially contentious threads could be placed that had a heading like NSFW (a new one on me but it seems to be well known).

If a seemingly innocuous thread then turns into a constant argument, perhaps it could be moved to there.

It's sometimes interraction between older males and older females (or non binary etc) and comes down to very different relationship/*ex points of view but can of course stem from any subject and any set of contributors.

I think it happens more often than it once did, and I've not been here a year yet.

Parents
  • I have a proposal. I'd like the communities opinion on it.

• The forum 'Rule 5' effectively bans any poster from accusing anyone else of a sex crime, or any other criminal activity.

I quote: "Be nice to one another and enjoy chatting with others. We encourage conversation and respectful debate; please be aware that individuals may give opinions which are not shared by other members. Insulting posts or comments making personal jibes will not be tolerated." 

I would assert that not making "insulting posts" or "personal jibes" encompasses the more serious infringement of accusing someone of criminal activity or intent. Presumably, the person or persons drafting the rules did not envisage people on the forum accusing one another of crimes.

Personally, I think that people who seriously or repeatedly infringe the rules of the forum should be sanctioned by being blocked from posting for variable time periods, or indefinitely.

• The forum 'Rule 5' effectively bans any poster from accusing anyone else of a sex crime, or any other criminal activity.

I quote: "Be nice to one another and enjoy chatting with others. We encourage conversation and respectful debate; please be aware that individuals may give opinions which are not shared by other members. Insulting posts or comments making personal jibes will not be tolerated." 

I would assert that not making "insulting posts" or "personal jibes" encompasses the more serious infringement of accusing someone of criminal activity or intent. Presumably, the person or persons drafting the rules did not envisage people on the forum accusing one another of crimes.

Personally, I think that people who seriously or repeatedly infringe the rules of the forum should be sanctioned by being blocked from posting for variable time periods, or indefinitely.

Children
  • The problem is I don’t think they see it as insulting I don’t think they can imagine it is anything other than a righteous crusade in their own heads. That’s why it would probably be good to make it a bit more explicit.