Experiment in phoneless GP communication

A few days ago, though my GP surgery officially only has the '8 o'clock phone lottery' method of getting an appointment, I sent an email to my GP surgery describing my worsening bowel problems (in great detail). Yesterday, the surgery phoned me offering an appointment next week. I strikes me that, once you have informed a surgery of a medical condition, that they have to respond. Because otherwise, if a patient developed a serious, or life-threatening, illness, they would be open to NHS disciplinary procedures, or to being sued for negligence. It may be worth others trying a similar approach; if it is generally applicable, it will make access to medical care much easier for autistics.

Parents
  • It will depend on the GP, unfortunately.

For starters, my former GP doesn't have a contact email address.

Secondly I wrote to them about 6 weeks ago asking for an operation because my symptoms have become much worse.

This is an op that's previously been discussed at my local hospital.

After a month I visited the surgery to ask what was being done about the letter.

I was told that it hadn't been dealt with and that there was a '3 month' wait on letters being dealt with.

Also, that surgery still doesn't have face-to-face appointments (as far as I know).

So, I've luckily managed to change GP to one in a village near my home town.

I will, however, have to start the process of asking for a referral again but hopefully at my new surgery there will be an option to talk to an actual live GP.

• Useful leverage if an email address is available, however. Like all forms of communication, it is dependent on it being looked at in the first place.

Reply Children
No Data