Autistic Inertia (problems with switching task) tips?

Hello again!

I have recently learned about autistic inertia thanks to Pete Wharmby's book Un-typicaI and have realised this is something I really struggle with but hadn't really given it any thought, until now.

Very briefly Autistic inertia, for anyone who doesn't know, is a difficulty switching tasks (even if you want to). Here's some light further reading - https://autismawarenesscentre.com/what-is-autistic-inertia/

The example Pete gave in his book so perfectly encapsulated my experience, reading a book but wanting a cup of tea. In this example, I can see myself getting up, making the tea, and then sitting and enjoying the tea while I continue to read. I am happy to get up and make the tea but I just...don't. I want to but something blocks me from switching my focus from reading to getting up and making tea.

Of course, this is just one example that doesn't have any major ramifications but it does impact other areas of my life. I wondered whether anyone had any tips or tricks for getting through this? If you also experience this, how do you switch tasks effectively?

Parents Reply Children
  • Indeed.  It all goes by many names and by many differing theories.  "Pervasive Demand for Autonomy" is another thing that links into this too.  Some with PDA feel that these words describe their core feeling more accurately than as a "Pathological Demand Avoidance."  I think both phrases are pretty short of the mark.

Like you say, all this stuff does make you think and re-examine = good, but taxing !

• It's making me think again!

And you can't always put laziness down to inertia! "Blame it on the 'spergers". Sometimes it's like trying to push a big rock to get going, other times I want things done yesterday.