Autistic Inertia (problems with switching task) tips?

Hello again!

I have recently learned about autistic inertia thanks to Pete Wharmby's book Un-typicaI and have realised this is something I really struggle with but hadn't really given it any thought, until now.

Very briefly Autistic inertia, for anyone who doesn't know, is a difficulty switching tasks (even if you want to). Here's some light further reading - https://autismawarenesscentre.com/what-is-autistic-inertia/

The example Pete gave in his book so perfectly encapsulated my experience, reading a book but wanting a cup of tea. In this example, I can see myself getting up, making the tea, and then sitting and enjoying the tea while I continue to read. I am happy to get up and make the tea but I just...don't. I want to but something blocks me from switching my focus from reading to getting up and making tea.

Of course, this is just one example that doesn't have any major ramifications but it does impact other areas of my life. I wondered whether anyone had any tips or tricks for getting through this? If you also experience this, how do you switch tasks effectively?

Parents
  • Ffs, I've just typed a carefully crafted response, edited it twice for typos and its disappeared.

• Hi thank you for commenting! I have one of your responses I can copy/paste in from my email notifications if you want? 

• Indeed.  It all goes by many names and by many differing theories.  "Pervasive Demand for Autonomy" is another thing that links into this too.  Some with PDA feel that these words describe their core feeling more accurately than as a "Pathological Demand Avoidance."  I think both phrases are pretty short of the mark.

Like you say, all this stuff does make you think and re-examine = good, but taxing !

• It's making me think again!

And you can't always put laziness down to inertia! "Blame it on the 'spergers". Sometimes it's like trying to push a big rock to get going, other times I want things done yesterday. 

• Thanks! It's certainly been a fascinating experience albeit a little draining. I get the 'burst open' thing if someone else is involved like, I want to do this thing NOW, I don't want to wait for them to slowly get themselves together. I'm very Clumsy so relate a lot to the accidental self- injury!

• Laziness or mild PDA or autistic inertia problem.  Those are three labels that are hard to unpick properly - and then even harder still to try and mitigate against.

• To be fair, those wise words are worthy of a repeat entry.  I think those are excellent suggestions and advice from out_of_step.  I often need to "burst open" when I need to start the next thing.  It can scare people when I jump up and REALLY just get the whole damn thing started with some gusto.

This doesn't always work - sometimes people run away and sometimes I sprain my ankle or bump my head - or both - or all three !

• Exactly that. I'm finding that with so many things since realising that I'm Autistic. It's like it's this missing piece of the story which is pulling all my odd, unexplained experiences and quirks together in a way that finally makes sense. Inertia is just one of the examples. 

• It's a bit of an eye opener really isn't it. Until then it's another element swimming against the tide without realising it.

• Me too, and I've never had words to describe quite what was going on until recently. It's nice to know that it's actually a thing.

• The bit what you said about simultaneously thinking about brewing up while reading is quite right too. Its like my voice taps me on the shoulder "you're thirsty" but I just ignore it. My previous comment was more related to thoughts but I can see how it could apply to some tasks.

• That makes complete sense. I see all the really minute steps for a lot of things in my head e.g. making tea isn't just make tea it's a stream of smaller tasks and steps which include stop task, stand up, walk to kitchen, put on kettle etc. etc. Which is why I think I get easily overwhelmed. I don't need to be imagining opening the fridge before I've even stood up, for example. 

I get inertia when trying to talk to people as well which can also be frustrating. 

• I find talking to someone else helps file thoughts a bit more into some sort of order. Or writing down. I've kind of come to the conclusion, often, there is in mind ALL the detail for a particular thing which can be a bit overwhelming so don't know where to begin. A difficulty prioritising or filtering out unecessary detail. 

• Exactly the same, which is why I gave the tea example as making tea is very easy and painless for me - I actually like the sound of pouring the water into my mug. It isn't that I don't want to make the tea just for some reason I can't. I'm also while reading simultaneously thinking about making the tea so it's not like I'm so absorbed in the book that I don't want to do it or don't think of it. It's a very odd situation. My partner couldn't imagine it when I tried to explain it to him. He was understanding but had no frame of reference. 

I have a similar thing with things that need doing too. Sometimes I have so many things to do piled up in my head that I don't have space for more things and I really struggle to action any of them 

• Sometimes it isn't procrastination because I actually want to do these things. Its not like I'm putting off doing them by doing something more interesting either. Sometimes things which need doing don't register properly (like an overflowing recycle bin needs taking out but I just keep piling more on top).

• Yep! I completely get that! I have that in other areas (I haven't tried anything specific for inertia). It's like there's just another layer to punch through that comes naturally without effort to a lot of people. 

• The problem I have, is that there are the things I've mentioned above, but I don't do them consistently and they can be a huge effort in themselves....like......I KNOW I need to count down from 5 but even that takes prep and effort!! 

• Thank you so much for your reply! I also find that if someone is waiting for me to do something with them that helps me shift focus. I plan my workday in chunks but always forget to do it with my personal life and it's something I really should consider doing. 

Counting down from 5 sounds like a good idea to try! I also get suck on thoughts and find myself spirally down an intrusive thought path that can stem into a full blown fantasy if I don't head it off. 

I'll definitely check out the article, as it's something that I've only just stumbled upon and realised applies to my own life there's so much to learn! I find it's definitely worse on bad days than good days, it's still present on good days but I find myself more able to control it.

• Here you go - If I could have a pound for every time I've sat on the sofa, needing to go to bed, but not doing so (and not doing much else either such as watching TV or reading) I wouldn't need to do a days work ever again. I never consider the knock on effect either. Sometimes the empty inertia comes because I just don't know where or how to start a task, evenue my interests. Also inertia from life decisions. 

What helps? For tasking, if someone is doing something with me (doesn't have to be exactly the same but I'll clean the kitchen while he does another room for instance). Sometimes I count myself down from 5. Another aspect was to plan my day in chunks of time, incorporating enough time to switch (eg allocate an hour for a task which takes 45 mins with a 15 min buffer) hey ho I haven't stuck to this though. I try and tell myself there will be no results if I don't start. 

In terms of the "not being able to stop" inertia...that's a hard one as well. It means stuff gets done but can lead to exhaustion. If I notice it, I try to catch it in the moment and have a break. I also get majorly stuck on thoughts. More awareness of this has lead to acceptance but it doesn't really help.

This is something I do struggle with at bother extremes. This is an excellent article - there might be tips in here but I can't remember: 

www.frontiersin.org/.../full

I could talk a lot longer about this. I think it pervades every aspect of my life.

• Here you go - If I could have a pound for every time I've sat on the sofa, needing to go to bed, but not doing so (and not doing much else either such as watching TV or reading) I wouldn't need to do a days work ever again. I never consider the knock on effect either. Sometimes the empty inertia comes because I just don't know where or how to start a task, evenue my interests. Also inertia from life decisions. 

What helps? For tasking, if someone is doing something with me (doesn't have to be exactly the same but I'll clean the kitchen while he does another room for instance). Sometimes I count myself down from 5. Another aspect was to plan my day in chunks of time, incorporating enough time to switch (eg allocate an hour for a task which takes 45 mins with a 15 min buffer) hey ho I haven't stuck to this though. I try and tell myself there will be no results if I don't start. 

In terms of the "not being able to stop" inertia...that's a hard one as well. It means stuff gets done but can lead to exhaustion. If I notice it, I try to catch it in the moment and have a break. I also get majorly stuck on thoughts. More awareness of this has lead to acceptance but it doesn't really help.

This is something I do struggle with at bother extremes. This is an excellent article - there might be tips in here but I can't remember: 

www.frontiersin.org/.../full

I could talk a lot longer about this. I think it pervades every aspect of my life.

Children
  • Indeed.  It all goes by many names and by many differing theories.  "Pervasive Demand for Autonomy" is another thing that links into this too.  Some with PDA feel that these words describe their core feeling more accurately than as a "Pathological Demand Avoidance."  I think both phrases are pretty short of the mark.

Like you say, all this stuff does make you think and re-examine = good, but taxing !

• It's making me think again!

And you can't always put laziness down to inertia! "Blame it on the 'spergers". Sometimes it's like trying to push a big rock to get going, other times I want things done yesterday. 

• Thanks! It's certainly been a fascinating experience albeit a little draining. I get the 'burst open' thing if someone else is involved like, I want to do this thing NOW, I don't want to wait for them to slowly get themselves together. I'm very Clumsy so relate a lot to the accidental self- injury!

• Laziness or mild PDA or autistic inertia problem.  Those are three labels that are hard to unpick properly - and then even harder still to try and mitigate against.

• To be fair, those wise words are worthy of a repeat entry.  I think those are excellent suggestions and advice from out_of_step.  I often need to "burst open" when I need to start the next thing.  It can scare people when I jump up and REALLY just get the whole damn thing started with some gusto.

This doesn't always work - sometimes people run away and sometimes I sprain my ankle or bump my head - or both - or all three !

• Exactly that. I'm finding that with so many things since realising that I'm Autistic. It's like it's this missing piece of the story which is pulling all my odd, unexplained experiences and quirks together in a way that finally makes sense. Inertia is just one of the examples. 

• It's a bit of an eye opener really isn't it. Until then it's another element swimming against the tide without realising it.

• Me too, and I've never had words to describe quite what was going on until recently. It's nice to know that it's actually a thing.

• The bit what you said about simultaneously thinking about brewing up while reading is quite right too. Its like my voice taps me on the shoulder "you're thirsty" but I just ignore it. My previous comment was more related to thoughts but I can see how it could apply to some tasks.

• That makes complete sense. I see all the really minute steps for a lot of things in my head e.g. making tea isn't just make tea it's a stream of smaller tasks and steps which include stop task, stand up, walk to kitchen, put on kettle etc. etc. Which is why I think I get easily overwhelmed. I don't need to be imagining opening the fridge before I've even stood up, for example. 

I get inertia when trying to talk to people as well which can also be frustrating. 

• I find talking to someone else helps file thoughts a bit more into some sort of order. Or writing down. I've kind of come to the conclusion, often, there is in mind ALL the detail for a particular thing which can be a bit overwhelming so don't know where to begin. A difficulty prioritising or filtering out unecessary detail. 

• Exactly the same, which is why I gave the tea example as making tea is very easy and painless for me - I actually like the sound of pouring the water into my mug. It isn't that I don't want to make the tea just for some reason I can't. I'm also while reading simultaneously thinking about making the tea so it's not like I'm so absorbed in the book that I don't want to do it or don't think of it. It's a very odd situation. My partner couldn't imagine it when I tried to explain it to him. He was understanding but had no frame of reference. 

I have a similar thing with things that need doing too. Sometimes I have so many things to do piled up in my head that I don't have space for more things and I really struggle to action any of them 

• Sometimes it isn't procrastination because I actually want to do these things. Its not like I'm putting off doing them by doing something more interesting either. Sometimes things which need doing don't register properly (like an overflowing recycle bin needs taking out but I just keep piling more on top).

• Yep! I completely get that! I have that in other areas (I haven't tried anything specific for inertia). It's like there's just another layer to punch through that comes naturally without effort to a lot of people. 

• The problem I have, is that there are the things I've mentioned above, but I don't do them consistently and they can be a huge effort in themselves....like......I KNOW I need to count down from 5 but even that takes prep and effort!! 

• Thank you so much for your reply! I also find that if someone is waiting for me to do something with them that helps me shift focus. I plan my workday in chunks but always forget to do it with my personal life and it's something I really should consider doing. 

Counting down from 5 sounds like a good idea to try! I also get suck on thoughts and find myself spirally down an intrusive thought path that can stem into a full blown fantasy if I don't head it off. 

I'll definitely check out the article, as it's something that I've only just stumbled upon and realised applies to my own life there's so much to learn! I find it's definitely worse on bad days than good days, it's still present on good days but I find myself more able to control it.