Emotions - delayed processing!

Has anyone else noticed that they process emotions differently than neurotypicals seem to?  I find that emotions take longer to sink in, my reactions are slow and delayed.   This applies for good and bad things - I just don't feel things for a while, then it might hit me out of the blue - or not at all.   

One of the things that I really dislike is being asked how I feel - cringe!  I don't always know, so when someone asks I'm scrambling to figure it out quickly, or I just make something up that sounds plausible.  ;) 

Anyone else have similar experiences? 

Parents
  • Yessssssssssssssssssssss. I'm so glad that you shared this with us! Thank you! I finally have found someone who has it similarly!!. I've told myself before that "I think that I'm reacting today to a nightmare that I've had like 3 nights ago!" But my brain said "not possible! How could it be?! I've never heard or seen anything like that?!, You are probably reacting to something else but what?! Nothing at all comes to mind". Now I read that there's something called (delayed processing) . Oh it's a thing! I wasn't imagining it my lovely brain! See! The more you learn!. Maybe I should trust my feelings more even if my brain says "nah". I've been trying to do that so hard recently but seems like more work needed. I also don't like when someone asks me how do I feel because I think that I won't find an answer to that at the moment. To answer this give me few days!. Ok, it's time to go read more about delayed emotional processing

• Yessssssssssssssssssssss. I'm so glad that you shared this with us! Thank you! I finally have found someone who has it similarly!!. I've told myself before that "I think that I'm reacting today to a nightmare that I've had like 3 nights ago!" But my brain said "not possible! How could it be?! I've never heard or seen anything like that?!, You are probably reacting to something else but what?! Nothing at all comes to mind". Now I read that there's something called (delayed processing) . Oh it's a thing! I wasn't imagining it my lovely brain! See! The more you learn!. Maybe I should trust my feelings more even if my brain says "nah". I've been trying to do that so hard recently but seems like more work needed. I also don't like when someone asks me how do I feel because I think that I won't find an answer to that at the moment. To answer this give me few days!. Ok, it's time to go read more about delayed emotional processing

Children
No Data