Tips for dealing with smells

Hello,

I’m newly diagnosed (2 weeks ago) and still navigating my way through things but overall am content with my diagnosis.

I am super sensory when it comes to smell. I smell everything and either gravitate towards them (been known to sniff people in the past) or feel physically unwell by them or cry if I can’t find the source of a smell. This can make it quite challenging to be out and about at times.

I’ve read lots of tips for people managing noise aversions but I have never come across anything to deal with smells. Does anyone experience the same thing and have any wisdom to pass along?

I’m not sure if I should just start carrying around a small spritz bottle or aroma ball of a scent I like and place it on my wrists or something like that.

Any tips welcome! Thanks

Parents
  • I'm super sensitive to smells too. I physically gag if I'm smelling something bad, like a stinky human in the bus or dog's *** even from a distance. Once I did throw up a little in my mouth in the tram and I wondered how others are not as affected as I am!!. It seemed like I was the only one smelling it!. 

Which means that windows are super damn important. I stand always next to a window. Or my office at work next to one since our boss and her husband both stink. In the public transportation I stay as close as possible to the door so I can run away before throwing up. I try to use the public transportation out of the crowded hours as much as possible or take the metro instead of bus/tram. When faced with bad smell I'd cover my nose with my shirt/sweater and focus on my scent instead even tho it's so damn hard but it could buy me some time before I can run away. 

I keep the toilet and kitchen windows open at almost all times. In winter it's challenging. I don't know what I'd do if the toilet didn't have a window!! Mechanical ventilation isn't enough at all. I keep the doors between rooms closed so smells don't transfer between them.

I use smell-free detergent, shampoo and shower gel. I wash my things a lot. I don't wear deodorants or sprays. My creams have very light smell or none at all. My clothes are hanged on a rack next to a window. If I encountered a smoky place, then it's time to wash everything I was wearing when I did.

Masks gave me some sense that I'm protected from smells but I wasn't really. Adding a strong smell to an existing strong one makes the situation harder for me, so carrying a perfume or nice scent everywhere wouldn't solve it but probably would just complicate it, so I tend to cover my nose with my sleeve and escape. The only solution for me in such situation in to stop breathing!. If it's inescapable like a boss then I tend to prefer online meetings or opening the window and taking a break "to go to the toilet".

My room smells like nothing which is incredible. When I water my plants it smells like it has just rained which is incredible too. I have too many plants.

Luckily the city doesn't overwhelm me with scents as much as with noises when I'm walking the street. I love to smell the bakery or sweets shops or a fireplace, but I don't want the smell to stick on me. If it's a place that I know smells bad, like kebab places, so I change my route a bit to avoid it. 

• I'm super sensitive to smells too. I physically gag if I'm smelling something bad, like a stinky human in the bus or dog's *** even from a distance. Once I did throw up a little in my mouth in the tram and I wondered how others are not as affected as I am!!. It seemed like I was the only one smelling it!. 

Which means that windows are super damn important. I stand always next to a window. Or my office at work next to one since our boss and her husband both stink. In the public transportation I stay as close as possible to the door so I can run away before throwing up. I try to use the public transportation out of the crowded hours as much as possible or take the metro instead of bus/tram. When faced with bad smell I'd cover my nose with my shirt/sweater and focus on my scent instead even tho it's so damn hard but it could buy me some time before I can run away. 

I keep the toilet and kitchen windows open at almost all times. In winter it's challenging. I don't know what I'd do if the toilet didn't have a window!! Mechanical ventilation isn't enough at all. I keep the doors between rooms closed so smells don't transfer between them.

I use smell-free detergent, shampoo and shower gel. I wash my things a lot. I don't wear deodorants or sprays. My creams have very light smell or none at all. My clothes are hanged on a rack next to a window. If I encountered a smoky place, then it's time to wash everything I was wearing when I did.

Masks gave me some sense that I'm protected from smells but I wasn't really. Adding a strong smell to an existing strong one makes the situation harder for me, so carrying a perfume or nice scent everywhere wouldn't solve it but probably would just complicate it, so I tend to cover my nose with my sleeve and escape. The only solution for me in such situation in to stop breathing!. If it's inescapable like a boss then I tend to prefer online meetings or opening the window and taking a break "to go to the toilet".

My room smells like nothing which is incredible. When I water my plants it smells like it has just rained which is incredible too. I have too many plants.

Luckily the city doesn't overwhelm me with scents as much as with noises when I'm walking the street. I love to smell the bakery or sweets shops or a fireplace, but I don't want the smell to stick on me. If it's a place that I know smells bad, like kebab places, so I change my route a bit to avoid it. 

Children
  • Thanks for the suggestions! It’s really helpful. Funnily enough I have always stuck by windows in offices or by the doors on public transport but it was never an active decision. Maybe my brain was subconsciously putting me there to give me air and protect me somewhat from the icky smells!